cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you use a Cisco 2960-S as an uplink for a 6248 FI?

George Sypsomos
Level 1
Level 1

In my lab environment, I tried connecting the 10Gb Cisco transceivers that came with my 6248, to ports to be used as uplinks to my 2960-S (because I'm trying to use my current infrastructure, instead of putting in an extender and moving all my equipment over). The 2960 would not recognize the 10Gb transceivers, so I put 1Gb SFP's in, and was able to get the ports up - they show as Up in both the FI (once I set the speeds to 1Gb, so they don't say "SFP validation failed" anymore) and the 2960, and I can get to the KVM IP's of my servers from the LAN.

When I attempt to create a port-channel in UCSM on those two ports though, they say "link up" momentarily (after I set the PC to 1 Gbps), but then go to "Failed" with reason "No operational members."

Please excuse my newness in trying to learn UCS!

Thanks,

George

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

what is your channel protocol? Are you using LACP on both sides? Can you post your port channel config?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

i do not beliveve your switch has support of 10G compatable.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

That is correct, Balaji. I mentioned that I had to set the interface speeds to 1Gb to get the ports to come up.

A port-channel does not have to be 10Gbps though, or else there would not be an option to set the Admin speed to 1 Gbps in the UCSM, which indicates that the "Operation Speed(Gbps)" is 2.

I'm trying to fix the problem with the Overall Status being "Failed" though.

I'm going to move forward with my build, and see what problems I run into without having the port-channel operational, since my chassis servers can reach the LAN still. But, I would prefer to have HA on this piece while I am learning.

Thanks,

George

what is your channel protocol? Are you using LACP on both sides? Can you post your port channel config?

You said "LACP on both sides."

I had not even configured even the port-channel on my 2960-S. <smh>

I created the port-channel, set the protocol to lacp, and set the channel-group, and the port-channel came up on the FI.

Thank you very much! I am working now.

-George

Oh i may have misread the comms here.. can you post the configuraiton of both the side to look and analyse.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Clearly I have a LOT to learn. I removed the interfaces from the port-channel, and they went to Admin Down.

BUT I can still get to the KVM interfaces from my LAN, even though there are no Uplinks to my LAN. I checked my links on my 2960 as well, and they are Down.

And.... now I've learned that KVM traffic on the ext-mgmt pool IP addresses traverses Mgmt0! (This learning thing is fun)

I'll put the port-channel back together, and then get configs shortly.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card