cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping ASA5505

rocket888
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have access to a console cable and am trying to connect to our ASA5505.  I've tried multiple recyclings, multiple computers and cables but just cannot connect to https://192.168.1.1/admin despite getting allocated an IP address.  I've also tried manually setting the computer's IP to 192.168.1.2.

I'm sure I'm doing something incrdibly stupid as I have no experience of LANs/firewalls or routers and would be really grateful if someone could tell me how to connect or even just to ping the Cisco box.......

I've also tried several hard resets of the 5505.

Thanks in advance!

2 Replies 2

rocket888
Level 1
Level 1

having looked at the packets.  I'm sending out lots of DHCP Discovers but getting nothing back from Cisco.  I was incorrect before about the IP address - the client is self-allocating an address (169.254.x.x not 192.168.1.x)

Hi,

the client is self-allocating an address (169.254.x.x not 192.168.1.x)

This is what happens on Windows boxes when they get no DHCP replies.

So first put a static IP on the host and then try to ping the ASA. Is there something in between the ASA and host?

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card