cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot ping hosts in a VLAN from just one particular other VLAN

aron_davies
Level 1
Level 1

I thought I'd best be able to illustrate my issue with a collection of ping commands:

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY0.41.131 source XX.YY0.48.1
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/3/8 ms

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY0.48.10 source XX.YY0.41.1
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/9 ms

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY3.255.6 source XX.YY0.41.1
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/5/9 ms

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY3.255.6 source XX.YY0.48.1
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY0.41.131 source XX.YY3.255.5
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/4/9 ms

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY0.48.10 source XX.YY3.255.5

As you can see ONLY ONE ping command fails. This is my issue. Communication from a particular VLAN to one particular other one just doesn't work. This is an existing network I have  started working and I have set up the new VLAN which fails to reach the particular VLAN. For reference here are some VLAN IDs to explain the IPs above:

• VLAN 10 - XX.YY3.255.4/30
  • VLAN 20 - XX.YY0.41.0/24
  • VLAN 30 - XX.YY0.48.0/24

The ping illustration shows that:

• reach VLAN20 hosts from VLAN30
  • reach VLAN30 hosts from VLAN20
  • reach VLAN10 hosts from VLAN20
  • CANNOT reach VLAN10 hosts from VLAN30
  • reach VLAN 30 hosts from VLAN10
  • reach VLAN 20 hosts from VLAN10

I've looked at trunk ports, etherchannels and ACLs and cannot see anything that would suggest VLAN30 has no access to VLAN10.

Switches involved are C3750s and C2960 with VLAN via VTP.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where I should look. I'm more than happy to re-check anything I already have!

Many thanks in advance!

Aron
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Wow have I learnt a lot in the last few days!!!

My problem is solved! There was nothing wrong with the switch or the configuration.

The ISP gateway (as I guessed) was the issue. It turns out the ISP enforce a local IP range because they provide the service as part of a larger intranet. Therefore the subnets available to me were limited and I had created a VLAN just outside of the allowed range. Therefore packets from my new VLAN subnet were being dropped!

I now have access to an extended range and internet connectivity is working fine!!

Thanks again for your help Mark.

Aron

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
can the SVIs on the L3 device ping each other , the 2 vlan ins question , before trying to ping from hosts on access switches start at the dist or core where the SVIs are and test there , that will rule out intervlan as the issue and then it must be l2 issue somewhere

Check STP is not blocking the vlans too along path and that there all forwarding

No firewall in place here virtual of physical there passing through either

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I think it might be L2 from what you say. Here are pings from SVIs on L3 core switch:

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY3.255.5 source XX.YY0.41.1
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/8 ms

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY3.255.5 source XX.YY0.48.1
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/1 ms

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY0.41.1 source XX.YY3.255.5

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY0.41.1 source XX.YY0.48.1

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY0.48.1 source XX.YY3.255.5

MY_SWITCH#ping XX.YY0.48.1 source XX.YY0.41.1

The original pings were all carried out on the core switch too.

Not entirely sure how to check whether there is any blocking via STP. Could you point me to command at all?

There are no firewalls present within network. The L2 switch is trunked directly into the L3 switch.

The only other thought I had was that the host I am trying to ping inside VLAN1 is the site's gateway router, so I wonder if it is configured to only accept traffic from certain IP subnets? I unfortunately cannot check this as it is controlled by the ISP.

Aron

The only other thought I had was that the host I am trying to ping inside VLAN1 is the site's gateway router, so I wonder if it is configured to only accept traffic from certain IP subnets? I unfortunately cannot check this as it is controlled by the ISP.

Maybe but you could rule it out by putting laptop on same vlan giving it IP on same range and test that way as they wont control that the ISP
If intervlan routing is working between SVIs then could be some layer 2 issue

Also make sure the devices you are trying to ping between are not running any type of software firewall they can drop ICMP by default and may have to be disabled for a test , bets thing is get 2 laptops yourself put one on each vlan turn off AV and FWs and repeat the test , if the issue is still there check below

Recheck all trunks and links through the path just to be sure
Then check show int trunk on each link up again make sure it shows the last step below thats its FWD in STP

sh int trunk

Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
Gi1/0/47 on 802.1q trunking 5
Po1 on 802.1q trunking 1

Port Vlans allowed on trunk
Gi1/0/47 1,5-6
Po1 1,4-6,226,2225,2239

Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
Gi1/0/47 1,5-6
Po1 1,4-6,226,2225,2239

Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
Gi1/0/47 1,5-6
Po1 1,4-6,226,2225,2239

Also check the STP for that vlan too as another step to match the above show int trunk , you can see when you check vlan 4 its allowed for PO1 its trunk in STP too

show spanning-tree vlan 4

VLAN0004
Spanning tree enabled protocol ieee
Root ID Priority 32772
Address
This bridge is the root
Hello Time 2 sec Max Age 20 sec Forward Delay 15 sec

Bridge ID Priority 32772 (priority 32768 sys-id-ext 4)
Address
Hello Time 2 sec Max Age 20 sec Forward Delay 15 sec
Aging Time 300 sec

Interface Role Sts Cost Prio.Nbr Type
------------------- ---- --- --------- -------- --------------------------------
Gi1/0/3 Desg FWD 19 128.3 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/4 Desg FWD 19 128.4 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/5 Desg FWD 19 128.5 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/6 Desg FWD 19 128.6 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/7 Desg FWD 19 128.7 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/8 Desg FWD 19 128.8 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/9 Desg FWD 19 128.9 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/37 Desg FWD 19 128.37 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/38 Desg FWD 19 128.38 P2p Edge
Gi1/0/43 Desg FWD 19 128.43 P2p Edge
Po1 Desg FWD 3 128.2281 P2p

Hi Mark,

I've just read this (not tried it yet) but wanted to say a massive thanks for taking the time to reply in such detail!

I'll try it out tomorrow and feedback.

Cheers,

Aron

Hi Mark,

I've not tried the laptop thing because I'm working remotely at present. But since I am running the ping commands on the L3 switch the firewall thing doesn't factor right?

In terms of the physical paths. Same as above. All my testing is taking place on the one L3 switch stack. There are no trunks involved at present. 

I did check STP and it looks like you showed in example. Couldn't see any issues.

I did one other bit of testing. I created another new VLAN (say 50) and set it up with IP XX.YY0.49.1 255.255.255.240. I didn't configure any ports so there were no physical devices involved. I then again ran the ping test from this new VLAN to the interface (XX.YY3.255.5) on VLAN10 and it passed just like when VLAN30 is the source. So the interface for the VLAN is fine.

I then tried to ping the XX.YY3.255.6 with source XX.YY0.49.1 and it failed just like VLAN 30 does. 

For good measure I pinged XX.YY3.255.6 with the source set as 4 other existing VLAN interfaces and they all passed!!

So all I can think is that somewhere there is some setting that permits traffic from those existing VLANs through to VLAN10 or some access list that prevents it. But all defaults show nothing of the sort. There are no specific default gateways and no access lists active on any ports that affect the IP ranges I am dealing with.

To give a bit more detail XX.YY.255.6 is set as a broad default gateway for all the IPs I am dealing with through this IP route command:  XX.YY0.0.0/16 [1/0] via XX.YY3.255.6. And yet I cannot get on the internet from VLAN 30!

The one test that can prove whether my theory about IP ranges being blocked entirely by the router at address XX.YY3.255.6, is the laptop test that you proposed!!

I really do need to do this and I will as soon as I get down there again.

Still. Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Aron

Hi when im talking about firewalls im taking about the local PC software firewall , take my corporate pc has McAfee enabled with high settings on it , if i dont disable it i cant ping my pc from the network switch it blocks ICMP , probably as some from of ddos protection as default

if this is all taking place on same stack , the routing does not matter in terms of statics etc , as intervlan routing takes place anyway on the switch , once ip routing command itself is enabled which it is as you can ping between vlans intervlan will ping

i think its something on the particular device blocking it if no acls and port acls in place its the only thing left ,as its all on same stack trunks stp shouldn't matter , these IPs your pinging they are complete for MACs in the show mac address table on the L3 stack yes

Hi,

Wow have I learnt a lot in the last few days!!!

My problem is solved! There was nothing wrong with the switch or the configuration.

The ISP gateway (as I guessed) was the issue. It turns out the ISP enforce a local IP range because they provide the service as part of a larger intranet. Therefore the subnets available to me were limited and I had created a VLAN just outside of the allowed range. Therefore packets from my new VLAN subnet were being dropped!

I now have access to an extended range and internet connectivity is working fine!!

Thanks again for your help Mark.

Aron

Cool glad you got it sorted 👍
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card