cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Ping the Switch from the TFTP Server via the Mgt. Port G0/0

NooberOober
Level 1
Level 1

Are there any configs that would harden the switch to stop the tftp server from pinging the switch via the mgt. port?  Before the switch had it's configs, tftp connected fine.  In fact, this is how I was able to transfer a txt file over to the flash that had the switch configs.  After the switch received its configs, wr, and reloaded, the configs stuck but when trying to tftp again, it was a no go.  

The mgt. interface did lose it's IP and mask but when I try to configure it again, tftp server can no longer ping that IP and interface.  This IP is in a different subnet compared to the configs that was set in the switch.  The switch has a default-gateway in a different subnet, mgt. vlan in a different subnet, etc.  Would this have any effect on why I cannot connect anymore through the mgt. port?

2 Replies 2

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you post the configs from the switch and share the IP of TFTP server?

Did you try a traceroute? 

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You manangement interface will be in a VRF something like this:-

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0
description MGMNT ACCESS NETWORK
vrf forwarding Mgmt-vrf
ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0
no ip redirects
no ip unreachables
no ip proxy-arp
negotiation auto
!

But you also need a route to the next hop router or L3 switch in the MGMNT VRF table if you are going thru different network for your management

!
ip route vrf Mgmt-vrf 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.1.254 name MGMNT-ACCESS-NETWORK
!

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco