Views
Helpful
Replies

Cannot Telnet to switch from client

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

I have 3 switches set up with 3 VLANS including VLAN 1 for management.  From each switch I can telnet to the other switch on the IP address I have given the switches on VLAN1.  From clients attached to the switch I cannot telnet to the switches.  The client is on a switchport in VLAN 7 (Data).  Any ideas on what might be wrong?

Thanks in advance!  All replies rated

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My first guess is that the switch configuration of the vty ports includes access-class which uses some access list to control what addresses are permitted remote access to the switch and that the addresses in vlan 7 are not permitted in that access list.

If that is not the issue then please provide some additional details including:

- where is the routing done to forward traffic from vlan 7 to vlan 1.

- can you verify that each switch has a correct default gateway statement pointing to where the routing is done.

- can the client ping the switch address?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

for intervlan communication you need routing. what model of switches is it ?

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

No access control.  All if the sub-interfaces exists on the inside interface of an ASA.  Client cannot ping the switch.  It is a 3750 switch.  Layer 2 only.  If I put a VLAN 7 on the switch with an IP address in VLAN 7 I can telnet to it from within VLAN 7 but from VLAN 7 I cannot telnet to VLAN 1

So you have the command "no ip routing " in your config on the switch ?   Do you have the ip default-gateway x.x.x.x command which points at the gateway for vlan 1 ?   You will not be able to telnet or ping outside of vlan 1 without it .

The fact that the client can not ping the switch is a big first step in understanding why it can not telnet to the switch. There is a basic problem with IP connectivity which needs to be solved.

Glen makes a good point about the default gateway configuration of the switches. If the default gateway is not configured correctly then this could explain the problem.

But I believe that there is a clue that the problem may be something different. The ASA would be very effective in routing traffic some sources inside out to the Internet and routing responses from the Internet back to the inside source. But by default the ASA does not forward traffic out the same interface that it arrived on and I am wondering if that is the problem here. There is a command to allow the ASA to forward traffic back out the arriving interface (sometimes referred to as hairpinning) and I wonder it that would help here.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card