Views
Helpful
Replies

Cant factory reset Cisco Catalyst 2960

Gremtem
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I have tried factory resetting my switch but it somehow wont work.

I have trief different ways to approach this but nothing seems to be effective. The problem is that when I press the 'Mode'-Button for 3 seconds, it starts blinking, but when I hold down the button for the additional 7 seconds, the lights dont turn of as they are supposed to. They instead just keep blinking.

Does someone know what to do? Is there maybe some sort of security feature that blocks me from factory resetting my switch or am  doing something wrong?

8 Replies 8

Keep press the mode button longer than 3 

I did. I pressed the button for 10 seconds but it kept blinking

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into the switch and reboot. 

Post the entire bootup process.  

I dont think that will be helpful. There is no booting sequence. I want to factory reset the switch because i dont know the password. Other than this there nothing really to see
Username:

Password:

@Gremtem wrote:
I want to factory reset the switch because i dont know the password.

Most of the time people buy a router, switch or an AP from the gray market.  Some sellers disable password recovery hoping to get more money by selling the password.  

The sellers do not realize that even with password-recovery disabled, it is still possible to break in to erase the config.

Im a Trainee at my company. I got the switch for my network lab by my manager. The switch was used in one of our customers networks before. How exactly can I erase the config if the password recovery is disabled?

Hold down the Mode button for >25 seconds.  

Gremtem_0-1697632454005.png

Doesnt seem to work...any other ideas?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card