Views
Helpful
Replies

Cascade ALCATEL with Cisco 3560 Access Mode two diferent VLAN

isc.emmanuel
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all I hope you are fine

I have to connect two Switches (cascade), i will explain more data.

I have a Internet service that is provide in a ALCATEL switch and the internet service is in the port 1 this port has the next configuration:

VLAN 866 port default 1/1

interfaces 1/1 max frame 9000

interfaces 1/1 alias "MCA..."

interfaces 1/1 dúplex full

And the provider tell us that this is a Access port, in the other side i have my cisco and i Have the next configuration:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

description Enlace-.....

switchport access vlan 51

switchport mode access

end

I need that the Internet service will be on VLAN 51, and obviusly when i connect the two ports i get the error of VLAN Inconsistency,

My question, is posible to make this connection? i think to créate the vlan 866 on cisco switch and config my port to Access the valn 866 but how a can comunícate the vlan 866 with VLAN 51 is that posible

Sorry if you can explain me detailed because i have a mínimum knowledge of networking :)

thanks in advanced 

4 Replies 4

Terry Cheema
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Since the ports are in access mode, normally the vlan number shoudnt matter, since no tags are passed on access ports. Whatever you send on to your provider switch will be placed into VLAN 866 and data received on your end will be placed into VLAN 51. 

What specific error you are receiving?

-Terry

hi Terry thanks for your answer I get in contact with my SP, and they are looking for a solution they tell me that maybe they will change the Alcatel switch for a cisco Switch, I don't why they don't make only a test with a untagged port but I need to wait

Thanks in advanced

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Sounds like the SP switch is sending you tagged pacets in vlan 866

Ask the SP to ckeck that they have set up your port as UNTAGGED.

Some hints on this link for the alcatel
http://enterprise.alcatel-lucent.com/includes/userguides/OmniSwitch-CLI-Reference-Guide/!SSL!/Multiscreen_HTML5/desktop/os_cli/c_vlans/c_vlans.htm

If they stop tagging then your set up in vlan 51 is fine

Regards
Alex

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Hi Terry thanks for the info, I resend the CLI manual to my SP but they say that don't have enough knowledge on that switch (ALCATEL), maybe they will change it for a cisco Switch. thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card