cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CAT 6 vs 5e installing

lonmc1977
Level 1
Level 1

I know the differences in speed, however where I work were planning on remodeling and recabling our offices and my Management has it in thier head that we might as well replace all of our CAT 5e with Cat 6 from switchport to user NICs.  Our trunks are already running 10G fiber so that will stay.  My question is, is there any benifit at all in installing CAT 6 from a 1GB switchport interface to a 1GB NIC when you already have 5e there?  Your getting 1GB regardless....Im pretty sure there isnt, but wanted to verify.  

2 Replies 2

Gregory Leeson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I remember reading somewhere that you'll get reduced performance depending on distance and bundling the cabling together.  For instance, you'll get 1g on cat5e at 100 meters if it's all by its lonesome.  But when you run wire, you bundle it together on the way down the wall into the back of the patch panel and then it's something like 1g at 30 meters, 100mb at 100.  Same goes for cat6. I think cat6a gets you 10g when it's bundled, though. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend the added expense.  Especially if it's already wired. Maybe on new construction you can make the case for spending the couple extra bucks per 1000 ft box, but I wouldn't go roping wire out. Especially with no guarantee of improved performance. 

geert.koopman
Level 1
Level 1

the cat5e is more furnabul for alien crosstalk if you go to a shielded network those problems go away, the performance in order of the frequency is higher for cat 6, category 5e is tested @ 100mhz and cat 6a @ 400mhz

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card