cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 6500 - mixing CEF and DFC cards in same chassis

simonpope
Level 1
Level 1

We recently installed a new module in to our Cat6509. The module was a WS-X6748-GE-TX with the optional DFC WS-F6700-DFC3A. The chassis currently has the following modules...

1 24 CEF720 24 port 1000mb SFP WS-X6724-SFP

2 48 48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule WS-X6148-GE-45AF

3 48 48 port 10/100/1000mb EtherModule WS-X6148-GE-45AF

5 2 Supervisor Engine 720 (Active) WS-SUP720-3B

When I inserted the new card in to slot 6 I received the following error on the console...

%C6KENV-SP-2-DFCMISMATCHMINOR: Module 6 DFC installed is incompatible with system operating mode. Power de.

To enable Module 6 DFC, the system must be reset.

WARNING: Any system reset will change the system operating mode which can result in degradation of system performance. To eliminate.

Is this meesage implying that the CEF and DFC card will not work together? Will a reboot simply initialise the DFC and the CEF card will continue to operate as normal?

Any information would be appreciated as searching on the Cisco web site hasn't turned up anything to date.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Simon,

You are getting this warning mesage because you tried to install a DFC3A module in a chassis with SUP720 PFC3B. The reason it is done this way is that when lower performance DFC module is inserted, the system calability

might be reduced (least denominator rule). This feature prevents this situation when the customer un-knowingly tries to insert a lower type DFC module.

Here is the algorithm that is implemented for DFC minor mismatch (3A/3B/3BXL):

. The switch will not change the operating mode (3A/3B/3BXL) by itself during runtime (unless the following OIR happens)

. When inserting higher performance mode line card, while under lower

performance system mode, linecard will be

downgraded to lower performance mode; e.g. inserting 3BXL linecard into 3A/3B system

. When inserting lower performance mode linecard, while under higher performance system mode, linecard will not be powered up; e.g. inserting 3B into 3BXL system. Need to powercycle to bring it up.

I would highly recommend that you run the same version of PFC3 and DFC3 on the SUP720 and modules, so we don?t lose the full capabilities of the PFC3x cards on the SUP720?s.

Please refer the below URL for details:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/ol_4164.htm#wp2561312

Let me know it it helps.

Regards,

Arul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

ajagadee
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Simon,

You are getting this warning mesage because you tried to install a DFC3A module in a chassis with SUP720 PFC3B. The reason it is done this way is that when lower performance DFC module is inserted, the system calability

might be reduced (least denominator rule). This feature prevents this situation when the customer un-knowingly tries to insert a lower type DFC module.

Here is the algorithm that is implemented for DFC minor mismatch (3A/3B/3BXL):

. The switch will not change the operating mode (3A/3B/3BXL) by itself during runtime (unless the following OIR happens)

. When inserting higher performance mode line card, while under lower

performance system mode, linecard will be

downgraded to lower performance mode; e.g. inserting 3BXL linecard into 3A/3B system

. When inserting lower performance mode linecard, while under higher performance system mode, linecard will not be powered up; e.g. inserting 3B into 3BXL system. Need to powercycle to bring it up.

I would highly recommend that you run the same version of PFC3 and DFC3 on the SUP720 and modules, so we don?t lose the full capabilities of the PFC3x cards on the SUP720?s.

Please refer the below URL for details:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/ol_4164.htm#wp2561312

Let me know it it helps.

Regards,

Arul

dosic
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

it's strange that you have WS-SUP720-3B and WS-F6700-DFC3A...

There are some PFC3/DFC3 Operating Restrictions

look here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/prod_module_installation_guide09186a00801d3b60.html#wp107985

Regards...

Thanks for that link it is exactly what I was looking for.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card