Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat 9300 and no debug output

Pawel Kmiecik
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

can anyone tell me where I can read about proper way of displaing debug outputs on 9300 ? I am struggling with this for a while now and can't figure it out. I've read about show platform software trace message command but... this is super lame. Why the tradittional debug output is not working anymore? Is this explained anywhere? Is there a way to bring back the old "live" debug output? Is there a way to at least export this to a syslog server? Any help would be appreciated 

4 Replies 4

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've got a 9300 eval switch and debugging seems to be working just like it always has. What are you trying to debug?

Also, check to see if "no logging monitor" or "no logging console" is configured as this will prevent the debug to appear on the vty or console lines.

HI,

can you try debug aaa authentication or debug radius?. Console logging is on for sure. I've noticed that when switch is probing the radius server debug messages are being presented on the console but when dot1x clients try to authenticate those debugs are only accessible with  show platform software trace message smd switch active R0 command. I've tested this on three boxes each with different software version. 

Hi.

Did you find an answer to this?

Having exactly the same problem now in 2020, with both Fuji and Everest images.

Nadav
Level 7
Level 7

Completely agree, it's not been a smooth migration.

Check out:

https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2019/pdf/BRKARC-3190.pdf 

Specifically this slide:

Debugging
• Common processes running on IOSd continue to use
traditional “debug” command
• IOSd uses traditional logging for common processes
• IBNS (dot1x/mab/etc) functionality moved out to
smd process. Traditional debugs for Radius, dot1x,
authentication do not display related info.
• Trace files stored in flash and archive are in a binary
format not text format

Some things have been moved out of debug. You should set trace levels accordingly and set up an alias to make it easier to run the full show command.

That presentation helps clear things up quite a bit.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card