Helpful
Replies

Cat 9500X-16 (17.03.05) does show config-register

Azad Bakht
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Got a new unit Ver 17.03.05.

When I do "Show version" it doesn't show the Config-Reg output.

There is no option available to set it to "0x102" or any other values. 

Any ideas?

Thanks Azad

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Azad Bakht
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all for the quick response !!

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/216850-configuration-register-equivalent-clis-i.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

I do not see any show commands that would show me the registry will run a configuration after upgrading.  The only command I could see that would provide any output  show registry brief and it gave to me a lot of nonsense,.  In all respects.  Is there a simple way to confirm the registry is set to run the current configuration that can explain it in plain language?  

Thanks in advance   

BTW A google search was no help either 

Azad Bakht
Level 1
Level 1

OK found the information:  The configuration register value on show version output is removed from 16.12.4 and 17.3.1 release onwards.

See https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/216850-configuration-register-equivalent-clis-i.html

My question is , how would one know what the values are set to in the new version?

What commands would be used to know the status?

Thanks Azad

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
show romvar

Not seeing it here 

ROMMON variables:
BOARDID="38"
ETHER_PORT="2"
PS1="rommon ! >"
MAC_ADDR="3C:26:E4:3B:23:00"
RETRY="0"
SWITCH_NUMBER="1"
MODEL_NUM="C9600-SUP-1"
SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUM="FDO263203FN"
MOTHERBOARD_SERIAL_NUM="FDO263203FN"
TEMPLATE="core"
BAUD="9600"
IMAGE_UPGRADE="no"
AUTO_SWITCH_CONSOLE_DISABLE="0"
MANUAL_BOOT="no"
BOOT="bootflash:packages.conf;"
PSEUDO_OIR_REMOVE_SET="1"
DOPPLER_E_WA="1"
CONFIG_FILE=""
BOOTLDR=""
ABNORMAL_RESET_COUNT="0"
RET_2_RTS="15:25:41 MDT Fri Jun 30 2023"
ROMMON_AUTOBOOT_ATTEMPT="3"
HW_STRM_CNTRL="1"
USB_DISABLE="0"
BSI="0"
RET_2_RCALTS=""
RANDOM_NUM="369600105"

Good that means the config-registry value is 0x2102.

Can you explain how any of the data reflects 0x2102 or oxf ? Sorry but I'm not seeing any correlation. Please point out where I can confirm 0x2101 after executing  show romvar  ? Thank you

The output does not have "SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1" ergo, the config-registry value is 0x2102.

Thank you that is very interesting so if it doesn't show that the Startup configuration is not going to load by default that means that the config register is 0x2102 I would say that is something that to me leaves some room for error since it doesn't explicitly imply what your configuration is it applies what it is not, scary if you ask me.  Thanks again for the reply 

Azad Bakht
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks all for the quick response !!

Volgash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @Azad Bakht ,
The configuration register is a crucial setting that determines how the device boots up and various other boot parameters. If the "show version" command doesn't display the configuration register output, but its value exists. @Leo Laohoo 's answer is correct, but I understand your concern. The best way that you can be sure of the value of the config register (that you cannot see value) is by following the steps.
Switch#wr er
Switch#configure terminal
Switch(config)#config-register 0x2102(it's not working in this sw)
Switch(config)#no system ignore startupconfig switch all
Switch(config)#exit
Switch#wr mem
Switch#reload
When your switch restarts, you can be sure about the Configuration Register Value. @marce1000's link is a good reference and contains other values for the Configuration register.

Best,
Please mark this as helpful or a solution accepted to help others.

tzakis2003
Level 1
Level 1

Yes thank you by forcing the config register "config-register 0x2102"  is definitely a great idea.  It would be nice if IOS would be updated to confirm however.  Anyone of has had to force a production switch to rommon to set the registry can be a nightmare and I know with some of the new pkg bundles make it more complicated.  Calling TAC is not always an option.  I hope Cisco is listening and can incorporate a show command to confirm.  But I thank you all for the invaluable information. I am always going to execute the config-register 0x2102 command as a habit.  I appreciate you all greatly 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card