Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat4506 Crash File Info

lydia.walther
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

one of our switches did an unscheduled reload. The device is 12 years old and sadly has an old image.

vt4cat4506-16 uptime is 1 day, 16 hours, 28 minutes
System returned to ROM by abort at PC 0x0
System restarted at 22:04:28 CEST Sun Feb 19 2017
System image file is "bootflash:"

Does somebody has an idea what problem caused the reload? Maybe a Bug like CSCtz27507 (4500 crash while polling ENTITY-MIB) or CSCsi17158?? Or is it a hardware issue, because of:

ErrDr1=00 ErrDr2=08 ErrStsCpu=72 ErrStsPci=12
BusErrAddr=030A0FA0
Single bit ECC count 255

Unfortunately there is no more warranty for the device, so we can't open a TAC case.

Maybe somebody can have a look at the crash file?

Thank you a lot.

Greetings Lydia

3 Replies 3

Leonardo Gama
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lydia,

I could not decode the traceback, but it seems it is not the bug CSCtz27507, because the device crashed after a configuration by SNMP. Or do you have confirmation that some server was polling ENTITY-MIB at that time?

You can try to reproduce the problem during maintenance window in order to confirm it was due to configuration by SNMP.

If it is confirmed, you can update IOS to the latest supported version and test it again.

Cheers.

Hello Leonardo,

thanks for your answer.

I think our Monitoring tool is polling the Entity-Mib. It's possible that it happened at that time.

But there are some other switches with the same age and image and this was the first time with such a problem. I would expect that the problem occurs much earlier.

Greetings,

Lydia

Hi Lydia,

All right, so most likely you hit the bug you mentioned. 

I agree with you. Maybe something has changed, for example some part replaced, etc. It is really difficult to pinpoint without DE analysis.

I suggest you to try upgrading the IOS version.

Cheers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card