cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cat6500 vs Cat6800

Eli Kagan
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking into a new purchase. I understand that feature-wise both 6500 and 6800 are about the same, while 6800 has 10 times more backplane capacity. My primary concerns are reliability and platform longevity. Should 6500 even be considered in mid 2018 for new purchases?

Thanks,

Eli

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Don't.
Cisco is "encouraging" people who want to invest in the Cat6K to look at the Catalyst 9500 instead.

I was afraid of that.  9K series looks too cutting edge for the environment (banking)....

@Eli Kagan wrote:

platform longevity.

I understand the concern, but if the 9K is "too cutting edge" then the above statement is a contradiction. 

In the next 18-months (my personal opinion) will be critical for Cat6K owners.  I expect Cisco to announce the EoS/EoL for the 6800 (including the 6840).  When this occurs, clients have about 24 months to "transition" to the recommended hardware before the software support final date.  

If you are in the banking/financial sector, contact the nearest Cisco office and the AM/SE will be jubilant to drop by and provide a presentation aimed at different levels of management.

Why would they decommission 6807 if sup6T has only been on the market for 2 years?

@Eli Kagan wrote:

Why would they decommission 6807 if sup6T has only been on the market for 2 years?

Cisco's "crystal ball" is DNA-C.  Anything that doesn't support DNA-C will be cut.  Sup6T, Sup9 (Catalyst 4500R+E) are both new.  6840 is also new.  But these don't support DNA-C.  

Routers, switches, wireless LAN controllers, ASA, IPS/IDS, DNA-C is Cisco's bet for the future.  

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

6800 platform is pretty mature and works fine with Sup-2. I am sure with the right IOS, Sup-6 will work as well. The 9500 is pretty immature as if you get any 40Gig or 100Gig switch, as of right now there is no capability to break the ports down from 100 to 40 and 10 or from 40 to 10. The breakout capability supposed show up sometime this year. Maybe it will be mature enough for 2020.

HTH

Eli Kagan
Level 1
Level 1

and to add to the confusion do I go with sup2T or sup6T.... ?     Will sup2T be EoL in the next year?....

I am using sup-2T but since this is new design/install, I would use 6T.  Just make sure you test it well before deploying it in production.  I have never used 6T but I know 2T is fine with the right IOS.

HTH

Eli Kagan
Level 1
Level 1

Here are some more details....

My requirements are pretty bland. The switch has to be highly reliable (banking environment), mature code and hardware. Should not end up with no more software updates in the next 5 years (PCI compliance). Should do VRFs, MACsec, VPC or VSS (quad sup VSS is better). No 10Gig is required as of today.

My options so far:

1.       Cat6807, sup6T  -- would be my first choice but other techies have no experience with it and are reluctant to agree.

2.       Cat6506-E.  sup2T  --  7 years old, perhaps will be EoL shortly otherwise will do.

3.       Cat4507R+E, sup9 -- good on paper but I had too many hardware and software issues with the existing cat4500 for me to be comfortable with this option. On top of that, Cisco is “encouraging” to go to Cat9400 instead

4.       Cat9400 7-slot  --  I know nothing about that thing. Does it support quad sup VSS or similar? Is it too cutting edge for a financial client? Is the code stable enough?

5.       Nexus 7700 6-slot   or    Nexus 9504   --  both are expensive as hell.

Any insight would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eli

@Eli Kagan wrote:

Should not end up with no more software updates in the next 5 years (PCI compliance). Should do VRFs, MACsec, VPC or VSS (quad sup VSS is better). No 10Gig is required as of today. 

I'd still recommend looking at the 9K, however, the above line is totally different.  

If there is no need for 10 Gbps, then I'd stick with Sup2T/Sup6.   I guess the banker won't care if Sup2T is operating way over the EoL date (just make sure to stock up on spare line cards).

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card