Views
Helpful
Replies

cat9500-16x SVL configuration and upgrade

JohnRosso3555
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Community

Unpacked my 2 cat 9500-16x switches and they came with 16.09.05 fuji and I upgraded them to 16.12.04 MD Gibraltar per Cisco's software site. Had a couple of questions:

•  When setting the stackwise virtual settings it has an optional setting for :switch 1 priority 1-15, with 15 being the highest. I cannot find whether the higher the priority the more favorable it is. Anyone see that setting elsewhere? I mean you can only have 2 switches in a SVL lineup, why is it needed unless they are standalone?
  • How can I tell if I have the 9500-16x-E or 9500-16x-A?
  • Also, how come the SVL settings do not become part of the startup-config and only the running-config? If the running-config gets wiped out and there is a reload, you would have to rebuild the switch, right?

I do need to read the whitepaper but I am not sure all of the questions are answered in that document.

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
  •  When setting the stackwise virtual settings it has an optional setting for :switch 1 priority 1-15, with 15 being the highest. I cannot find whether the higher the priority the more favorable it is. Anyone see that setting elsewhere? I mean you can only have 2 switches in a SVL lineup, why is it needed unless they are standalone?
  • BB  ---- This command will be see only #  not in config t mode
  • How can I tell if I have the 9500-16x-E or 9500-16x-A?
  • --BB  show version give you model
  • Also, how come the SVL settings do not become part of the startup-config and only the running-config? If the running-config gets wiped out and there is a reload, you would have to rebuild the switch, right?
  • -- BB - not sure i understand the question here - to make SWV config you need just basic config, they become 1 Virtual switch, then only make changes on Active one.

Since they are not live yet, i suggest to upgrade to latest desire code and join to SWV domain.

here is configuration guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9000/nb-06-cat-9k-stack-wp-cte-en.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4
  • How can I tell if I have the 9500-16x-E or 9500-16x-A

i am pretty sure that this depends on the licensing you bought with them, either essentials or advantage

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card