cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 1000 SFP down (bad crc)

Ollivetti
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we have a new cisco catalyst switch with SFPs. When inserting the SFPs we receive the message and the port doesbad crc notbad crc come up.

%GBIC_SECURITY_CRYPT-4-VN_DATA_CRC_ERROR: GBIC in .... has bad crc

SFPs are from Cisco, too -> mgbsx1 

We read a lot about the error and the two possible commands which do not slove our problem:

service unsupported-transceiver --> is not working -> output incorrect command

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid --> is succesfull but does not change the situation

Any recommendations?

Best regards

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try with a different optical module. 

What firmware is the switch running on?

Hello, thank you for your response. We tried other with the same result. I installed the latest software release.

I wanted to check the supported SFPs fort hat switch but it seems offline on Cisco Homepage.

Regards

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://community.cisco.com/t5/networking-documents/the-quot-gbic-security-crypt-4-vn-data-crc-error-quot-error/ta-p/3132070

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello,

thank you for the information!

In order to resolve this, verify that the software release that runs on the system supports the GBIC module. If the GBIC module is newer, a system software upgrade is possibly required.

I already installed the latest software on the catalyst. When it is a cosmetic issue, why does the port still stay in down state?

>... When it is a cosmetic issue, why does the port still stay in down state?

When the port is  in the down state the issue is indeed no longer cosmetic use, this app to find compatible sfp's for your switch-model.

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you very much. They don't seem to be on the compatibility list, sadly.

Best regards

What is the exact model as can be seen from 'show version' ?

M.

Jkz01
Level 1
Level 1
I have the same problem. The switch does not work even with SFPs from the compatibility matrix.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card