Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 1000 Single IP Management

tuanquangnguyen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are purchasing a pair of Cisco Catalyst 1000 (4x 1G Uplinks) for out-of-band management purpose in our Data Center.

Is Single IP Management a stable feature to be used in production? As far as I can tell, Catalyst 1000 does not support hardware stacking.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Single IP Management is a "re-hash" of the old "Cluster Management Protocol" which was first supported on the 2900XL/3500XL, 2940/2950/2955 and 3550 appliances.  

It was stable then and chews up very low CPU.  

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

as per I know Cat 1K does support smart stacking?

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst1000/software/releases/15_2_7_e/configuration_guides/stacking/b_1527e_single_ip_management_c1000_cg.html

in this case only 1 control plane so 1 management IP.

If you are doing stand-alone deployment how you going to manage other devices?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi @balaji.bandi,

The link is literally the Single IP Management feature, which I was refering to.

Since the C1000s are not for mission-critical usage, I would manage them as separate switches if the feature is unstable. However, @Leo Laohoo has stated that it should be stable (as it was basically equivalent to C2900XL Cluster Management Protocol).

Would troubleshooting steps for the pair be the same as Stackwise C9300, C3850? If I were to implement a half-ring now, would introducing a new link later on to achieve full-ring cause any downtime? Currently we have only one GLC-TE for each switch, to plug into the uplink ports for this feature.

Thanks in advance.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Single IP Management is a "re-hash" of the old "Cluster Management Protocol" which was first supported on the 2900XL/3500XL, 2940/2950/2955 and 3550 appliances.  

It was stable then and chews up very low CPU.  

Mariusz91656
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

What kind of solution did you choose? Are you using a stack (h-stack for C1000)? I have a similar problem with the choice.

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/catalyst-c1000-5-switches-stack-or-other-connection-topology/td-p/4386652

Is the stack stable and powerful ?

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card