cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2948G Battery

michaelciscofan
Level 1
Level 1

Okay so for a while now I have been brain storming what might be wrong with my Switch, here is a repost of the LED's

The LED's are lit up as so:

PSI: Green

RPSU: Off

CR5: Off

CR6: Off

Now nothing has changed and I am waiting on the console cable that is comming through thew post.

But I tested something, the battery on the logic board, the thing is the 3v battery is only pumping out 0.58v. So I am wondeing if that might be the cause the switch to not boot?

Now looking at the battery I could easly remove it and replace the battery myself.

So yea, I felt it would be a good idea to ask this before I start warming my soldeing iron or start cutting.

3 Replies 3

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Michael,

Do you see any errors on the console in the self-test diagnostics results shown during the boot sequence?

As for the  battery failure - it will cause NVRAM data corruptio, including the boot variables. Switch is likely to have issues booting in such situation due to the boot string and other parameters either messed up or not readable.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Sorry I can't read the console, the cable I ordered off eBay hasn't arrived yet, but thank you for confirming what the purpose for the battery.

I'm going to guess that by replacing the battery, I will have to use the console to get it working again?

Hi Michael,

If you are lucky, it may autoboot but most likely it would fall into ROMMON requiring you to boot manually.

Kind Regards,
Ivan Shirshin

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card