Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 hang on spanning tree loop error

Hi,

I've a Catalyst 2950 with the latest IOS in. This switch it's connect by port 23 and 24 to two different switch (3750). Since yesterday, without any change, those 3750 detect a SPANNING TREE LOOP for the VLAN0001 (shutdown on all switch) on ports connect to the 2950.  When the error occur, the 2950 hang and I've to unplug the switch, wait and replug.

Does the 2950 can be defective and cause this ? Or it's a configuration error even I changed nothing ?

Thanks

Patrick

4 Replies 4

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Patrick,

Is it possible to post the log messages that appeared on the 3750 (and perhaps on the 2950 if you have syslog records) around the time of the outage? This behavior is uncommon and it requires more specific information to at least begin with. The console or syslog messages recorded on the 3750 switches could provide us with important clues.

Best regards,

Peter

Yogesh Ramdoss
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Peter,

You mentioned 3750 detected "spanning-tree loop". Can you post exact messages it has reported ?

- Yogesh

Hi,

Can you please paste the sh int (fas 0/23 -- interface connected to 3750) switchport command ?

Regards,

Amita

It appear the switch is defective and problably the spanning tree error came when the switch hang and not the spanning tree causing the swich to hang.

We'll replace it and I'll close the post if nothing suspect appears.

Thanks to you guys.

Regards.

Patrick

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card