cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 2950 series not connecting

Takuman
Level 1
Level 1

I'm having troubles connecting to my 2950. I'm using a serial port to USB to connect over PuTTY. After setting the serial line and clicking "OK", a CLI comes up but it doesn't respond to any input from me and no matter ho long i wait no text comes up. I'm running windows 10 if that matters and i also attached a screen shot to help clarify my issue.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First make sure after connecting the cable to the switch, the USB port is recognized by the PC.

Also, Make sure you are using the correct Com port.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/dial-access/asynchronous-connections/9321-terminal-settings.html

HTH 

if you connect pin2 to pin3 on the usb-adapters db-9 connector, do you get typed characters echoed?
if yes, than your usb adapter seems operational.

then some checking what you did not mention:

you've set the serial settings in putty to 9600 baud?

this matches the serial settings of the switch?

you are using the cisco blue console cable?

this is connected to the console port of the switch (at the back)? (not to an ethernet port)

do you get any output on the screen when the switch is booting? (even if this looks like garbage)

is this an operational switch or a new setup?

Do you have telnet/ssh acces to the switch to verify the switch is working at all?

do you have other switches that do communicate with your setup?

I'm using a console to usb cable this one to be exact: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0LMWGQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and when i try yto connect to my switch i get an unresponsive command prompt.

as for the checking i that you mention, yes, yes, yes, yes. and does an unresponsive command prompt count as ouput on the screen. The switch is operational and it's a new setup.and i currently do not have access to telnet/ssh. i do have another switch, but its the same situation as this one

so this is not an original Cisco cable.

for that you ned a USB to DB-9 adapter + the Cisco DB-9 to RJ-45 cable.

the product description on the page records: 

5. RJ-45 DTE Pinouts RTS(1), DTR(2), TXD (3), GND(4), GND(5), RXD (6), DSR(7), CTS(8)

this should match to connect to the Cisco console port  (blue-port)

the product also mentions: the drivers are part of the OS distribution so driver should be no problem

you mention an "unresponsive console prompt",

my interpretation is you do get a prompt from the switch like "Login:" but typing gives no response.

can you try to disconnect the cable from the switch and somehow connect pins 3 and 6 together?

maybe you have an RJ-45 femal-female connector and there you can plug a RJ-45 connector with this "loopback"

then type on the keyboard and see if characters appear on the screen?

if not you may need to check your terminal settings (flow-control X-on/X-offf)

Martin L
VIP
VIP

did u install any drivers for your usb-to0-serial adapter?
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card