cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 2960-x 48 ports POE no link light when plugged in

stw5618
Level 1
Level 1

I recently got an used Catalyst 2960-X 48 ports POE switch and all the ports will not link. Exact mondel is WS-C2960X-48FPD-L V03

I performed the factory reset on the switch, and during the initial set up I was not able to set up telnet because all the ports will not work when I plug in to the switch.

I was no table to get into the console with RJ45-USB A cable, but I was able to get in the console with Mini USB-B cable.

Evan after the no shut down command, all the ports on the switch will no respond. But the show status tells me all the ports are active.

I am able to see the log on putty when I plug into the management port, but the RJ45 console port and the rest of 48 ports have no reponse, no log and no blinking lights for connectivity.

Is there something else I need to do to activate the ports?

Thank you,

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You should not need to do anything, but unless you connect a device (PC/laptop/printer, etc..) to the port, you are not going to see any lights blinking. Also, make sure the ports are not administratively shut down.

HTH

Hello Reza,

thanks for the quick response.

I've tried to plug into my router, other switch, laptop, desktop and also my POE cameras, none of that seems to link with the switch.

In the case of connecting to the router and other switch, the port on the router and other switch side will not light up too. That tells me there is no link with the 2960-x switch.

How do I check if the ports are adminstratively shut down and how to reactivate them?

Thank you,

Simon

Hi,

If you issue "sh ip int brief" command, you will see which ports are administratively shut down.

here is an example:

Te1/0/20 unassigned YES unset administratively down down

HTH

Hi

unfortunately you probably have a faulty Switch in yout hands. What I´d recommend you already done which is factory reset.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card