Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3550 Help Needed

I have a catalyst 3550 and will be using it to run my cisco 7940 and 7960 ip phones with POE. When I plug the phones into the switch they power up just fine but the phones will not dial out as they have little x's by the line. I have also tried going through the set up of the 3550 but get stuck in one place. When I go to the 10.0.0.0, the screen will not allow me to enter the telnet page or allow me to enter any information. In the manual it shows a pic of what the screen should look like when I go to 10.0.0.1, but I am getting an entirely different page.

Does anyone know what I need to do to get everything set up correctly?

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the switch does not allow you to telnet to it, then console to it and make sure all the parameters are correctly configured for telnet. 

HTH

I suspect that the document James is working from is for a fresh out of the box switch. I wonder if the switch he is using has been previously configured and that is why he is not getting the expected responses.

HTH

Rick

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH

Rick

Richard,

Yes the 3550 was previously configured. When I go to the IP address for the switch, the page that comes up allows me to make selections for what I would like to do. When I click on the Telnet link, it takes me to a page not found.

Can you try using the command line instead of http?

I assume that when Reza talks about using the command line he is talking about using the console port and a console cable connecting to your PC. That may be very helpful.

It sounds to me like the switch has been configured with a different address. If you can figure out which address it is then you might have more success in accessing it. If you have some other Cisco device connected to the switch then perhaps show cdp neighbor detail might show what IP is configured on the switch.

Otherwise I wonder if a reset to factory default might help solve this issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card