Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3650 24 PoE - vlan1 - administratively down - air gapped lab setup

Kasterborous
Level 1
Level 1

Hey All,

New to the commmunity!

I've been searching around for ideas on how best to trouble shoot this.  We recently upgraded our switch to the new IOS and it was working fine for several days, but since last week vlan1 goes administratevely down at startup config and even when entering a no shut on said vlan, the protocol stays down.

We've tried wiping the startup-config, vlan.dat, etc. to no avail.

Even starting with an unconfigured machine, consoling in, adding an ip address to vlan1 and doing a no shut, the interface changes to:

interface                 ip                ok?              method                    status                            protocol
vlan1               192.168.1.2      yes                manual                      up                                 down

I'm consoled into the switch with a console cable.  No other vlans are effected, no errors at startup.

Thanks for the help in advance,

Brenden

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are there any ACTIVE ports assigned to VLAN 1?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

it will not come up until any ports are part of the VLAN 1 and the device connect to it - what is the use of this VLAN 1 for management?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Brenden

The previous posts have correctly identified the need to have an active port in the vlan for a vlan interface to be in the up/up state. To help us understand the environment would you post the output of these commands

show interface status

show interface trunk

show ip interface brief

HTH

Rick

Kasterborous
Level 1
Level 1

So there are active ports assigned to vlan1.  I will post them when back in the lab later this week.

Thanks all!

Sure if you add interface to vlan it will come up/ip if not please post the information as requested by @Richard Burts 

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card