Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3650 file packages.conf is missing

AdminMTT58173
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

My Catalyst WS-3650-24TS switch shows read only flash file system.

and file packages.conf is missing.

Please guide to fix it.

Interface GE 0 link down***ERROR: PHY link is down
flash:packages.conf: no such file or directory
Cannot open file flash:packages.conf

The system is unable to boot automatically. The
BOOT environment variable needs to be set to a
bootable image.

switch: dir

List of filesystems currently registered:

xmodem[0]: (read-only)
null[1]: (read-write)
bs[3]: (read-only)
flash[19]: (read-only)
tftp[20]: (read-write)

switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

7761 drwx 4096 .
2 drwx 4096 ..

1621680128 bytes available (28405760 bytes used)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

Looks like you dont have a recovery patition for an enmergnecy install - so would suggest you Insert a usb drive and boot the IOS of the USB ,then when switch is booted from the USB drive, copy the bin file onto switch flash and install the software package.

1) boot usbflash1:xxxbin

2) Once switch is booted
copy usbflash1: xxx flash:
dir flash:

3) install the software package  -
request platform software package install switch x file flash:xxxxx.bin force

4) Once completed check for conf file in flash and then change boot variable to point to that config file.
dir flash:

no boot system
boot system flash:packages.conf
wr

5) reload

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello

Looks like you dont have a recovery patition for an enmergnecy install - so would suggest you Insert a usb drive and boot the IOS of the USB ,then when switch is booted from the USB drive, copy the bin file onto switch flash and install the software package.

1) boot usbflash1:xxxbin

2) Once switch is booted
copy usbflash1: xxx flash:
dir flash:

3) install the software package  -
request platform software package install switch x file flash:xxxxx.bin force

4) Once completed check for conf file in flash and then change boot variable to point to that config file.
dir flash:

no boot system
boot system flash:packages.conf
wr

5) reload

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello Paul,

On step 3 

I used command :

request platform software package install switch all file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin force

Result:

--- Starting install local lock acquisition on switch 1 ---

Finished install local lock acquisition on switch 1

FAILED: switch local is not booted with provisioning file

Please advice.

Thank you.

Hello All,

I have the same problem. After I tried to upgrade (in a wrong way maybe) and some tries to fix it, I have the same status like you.
there is no packages.conf or other *.conf file anymore and it is no possible to upgrade like the way tthat Paul descriped.

Has someone an idea, how I can fix that problem ?

At the moment the Switch (standalone) starts with the Version: 16.9.3a but only in the memory, is not "really" installed.
Mode: Bundle
There is no configuration on the Switch, I prefer a complete factory reset, but I do not know how.

Thank you

ok, I found a solution (for me)

Start the Switch in Rommon Mode (Switch:) and I installed the Switch completely new with the following command:

Switch: emergency-install usbflash0:/cat3k_caa_universalXXXXX.SPA.bin (image file)

The Switch will install complete new and will reboot after successfully installation.
inclusive the unzipped package files of the image and the "packages.conf" for the boot process.

Maybe it helps for other guys.

I've tried all solutions listed below, got the same error on the solution Paul gave,

*Feb 27 09:45:14.897: %INSTALL-3-OPERATION_ERROR_MESSAGE: Switch 1 R0/0: provision: Failed to install package flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin, Error: switch local is not booted with provisioning file

so went ahead with the emergency-install suggested

Returning me this error :

Emergency Install failed - bundle usbflash0:cat3k_caa-universalk9.16.09.04.SPA.bin is not supported on this platform
Restarting system.

I have a WS-C3650-48TD-L  V04 in my hands which the website redirects to above image ... how can it be not supported?? 

What steps do i need to follow to get this unit back up and running? 

[edit]

Apperantly i needed an older version... fixed now by emergency install

Is great help for me ,thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card