Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750/3750X Mixed Mode Stack Question

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

I have a customer with a stack of three Catalyst 3750 switches running IP Base 12.2(55)SE1.

They want to add a 3750X switch to the stack to create a mixed stack.

I cannot find anything that discusses in detail what will happen with the software images.

If there is a version mismatch then I believe that the new 3750X switch cannot download the 12.2(55)SE1 from the older 3750 switches in the stack as it seems to use a different image (based upon the file sizes) - is this correct?

If so what would happen? - will the switch join the stack or will it fail?

I guess that I could install 12.2(55)SE1 on the 3750X before adding it to the stack - would this be ok?

Finally what happens with the Web based device manager interface for the stack - if I connect to the stack master with a web browser will I see the 3750X switch correctly?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Somasundaram Jayaraman
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

While adding 3750X switch to the stack, make sure the below conditions are met.

IOS versions should be the same on all the switches.

License should be the same on all the switches in the stack.

yes you can install the same image running in other switches in 3750X and add it in the stack.

Again, the license should be the same.

yes you will see the device in web based device manager after the formation of stack.

useful links:

=========

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2057914

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Somu

Rate helpful posts

Hi Somu,

Thanks that has cleared some things up.

I think that the axtual software images must differ for the 3750 and 3750X though - they have different file names and sizes.

Regards

James

I have a customer with a stack of three Catalyst 3750 switches running IP Base 12.2(55)SE1.

Make sure your 3750X is running 12.2(55)SE1 and IP Base feature set.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card