cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750 multi-VLANs needing internet access

netguyz08
Level 1
Level 1

I have several devices that have different IP addresses and they could change as well. This is for a test/dev lab. However, we need to plug these devices into a switch and grant them internet access and that is it. Configuring a Catalyst 3750 switch with multiple VLANs, and I know I cannot NAT in the switch (that is fine), but setting up a trunk port to a Cisco ISR router... 

From here I would setup sub-interfaces on one port and provide the router as a router on a stick, correct? So these devices would just pass and get internet access.

However the IP addresses will change and different devices will be plugged in. Is this an issue for the router configuration and the sub-interfaces? Will I need to know what they will be so I can provide a gateway address for each sub-interface on the router?

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

very good simple doc to follow on router in stick setup , and yes that's what you would do if there is no switching module in the ISR otherwise you could go full trunk end -end

http://www.firewall.cx/cisco-technical-knowledgebase/cisco-routers/336-cisco-router-8021q-router-stick.html

yes the devices connected will need to be on the correct df or they wont break out at all , if you know the subnets you could setup dhcp pools on the switch and designate certain switchport to be certain subnets so they always get an ip/df correctly when plugged in and then have a different sub int for each dhcp pool but if you don't know what range they will be changing to it may be an issue you will have to manually update if I get you correctly

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card