Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3850 Stackwise Virtual with local stacking

Hello,

With Cisco 3850, is it possible to perform simultaneously local stacking with Stackwise-480 and remote Stackwise with Stackwise Virtual ?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hmm so they do on the newer fuji release in X series only , looking at the doc , wasn't aware it had come down from 9ks to the 38s on newer releases

so then the question is why would you want to run both features on 1 logical unit at the same time ? stackwise virtual is based on 2 devices only, how would you even introduce standard stacking with that wouldn't even work in theory , i would say either standard stacking has been removed or you only chose 1 or the other ,if you look at the specific config guides it may show you that only 1 method is doable in fiji release

Its the next generation stacking so i would say its superseded the standard stacking on the X series , here is the FAQ may highlight something too but i doubt you could run 2 same features that act differently in same logical switch

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/q-and-a-c67-738577.pdf

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
stack wise virtual is a 9K feature to stack switches like VSS scenario , 3850s support standard stacking of multiple switches
2 different features

hmm so they do on the newer fuji release in X series only , looking at the doc , wasn't aware it had come down from 9ks to the 38s on newer releases

so then the question is why would you want to run both features on 1 logical unit at the same time ? stackwise virtual is based on 2 devices only, how would you even introduce standard stacking with that wouldn't even work in theory , i would say either standard stacking has been removed or you only chose 1 or the other ,if you look at the specific config guides it may show you that only 1 method is doable in fiji release

Its the next generation stacking so i would say its superseded the standard stacking on the X series , here is the FAQ may highlight something too but i doubt you could run 2 same features that act differently in same logical switch

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3850-series-switches/q-and-a-c67-738577.pdf
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: