cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4500-X trunking

Sivan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi amazing people, i need an urgent help. 

I have a HP Procurve J9030A switch, which is having more than 15 VLANs. I brought 2 new Cisco 4500-x switch as main and backup and i have connected some devices which are in VLAN 40 in all the switches. 

In HP Switch:

Ports G1-G6 are in VLAN 40 ( Untagged), port 23 is Trunk 3 which is tagged to VLAN 40 and port 24 is Trunk 4 which is tagged to VLAN 40. 

I have configured cisco switch port Tengigabyte1/9 on each switch as trunk ports and tagged using the below commands.

switch# configure terminal
switch(config)# interface Tengigabyte1/9
switch(config-if)# switchport trunk allow vlan 40

It looks working, but not from the HP tagged ports. There are some ports which in default VLAN 1, while i connect my devices on that ports in HP switch only i am able to get access to the devices in cisco switch. Looks like issues with the packet tagging. HP switch config is correct, as i am using web interface. But can someone kindly help me to fix this issue.  the setup is as below

Networking.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

For testing purpose, you can simply make port 1/9 on both Cisco switches trunk ports. See below: Do the same on the HP side and test again. Also for all your access ports, modify the config to look like port te1/8

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/8
 switchport access vlan 40

switchport mode access
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/9

switchport mode trunk

and test again.

HTH

View solution in original post

Hi,

Based on the HP switch configuration:

trunk G23 Trk3 Trunk 
trunk G24 Trk4 Trunk 

This is EtherChannel configuration on HP switch. It not a trunk port. 

Please try below configuration on the HP Switch:

no trunk G23 Trk3 Trunk
!
vlan 40 tagged G23

and Try on Cisco switch as normal trunk port configuration.

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/19
 switchport mode trunk
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 40

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

Sivan
Level 1
Level 1

Attached the config file of the cisco switch. I need to get the communication between only VLAN 40.

Hi,

For testing purpose, you can simply make port 1/9 on both Cisco switches trunk ports. See below: Do the same on the HP side and test again. Also for all your access ports, modify the config to look like port te1/8

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/8

switchport mode access
!
interface TenGigabitEthernet1/9

switchport mode trunk

and test again.

HTH

Hello Mr.Reza,

Thank you for your reply. But both the switches contains other VLAN's, i dont want them to communicate each other. I want the communication between only VLAN 40 between the switches. 

Hi,

What I propose was a temporary solution to isolate the problem. Anyway, as long as vlan 40 is added to the trunk (the same way you originally configured it) and the same vlan is also existed on the HP switch, they should be able to communicate. Just make sure both Cisco and HP are configured as a trunk or tagged. You access ports should only be configured for specific vlan and no need for trunk config.

HTH

Thanks Reza,

I will check that. by the way i have seen the default VLANs in HP switch is automatically configured as untagged to the Trunk ports. I have to remove them. Also i have configured the cisco switch in CLI mode and to make the trunk i use cisco network assistance tool. I made the port TenGigabitEthernet 1/9 port as 801.q trunking and tagged VLAN 40 using the Cisco network assistance tool. That time it might change the other ports to trunks automatically. But can you tell me the commands to make this as trunk ports and tagg with VLAN 40.

Hi Reza,

Its working now. Thank you for your support.

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

In the attached configuration, you didn't attach a full configuration but after saw some port configuration I can assume that what is an issue:

interface TenGigabitEthernet1/14
 switchport mode access

Why did you configure "Switchport access VLAN 40" and "Switchport trunk allowed VLAN 40" both commands at the same time? This seems an issue with your trunk port as well.

Try with below configuration:

default interface TenGigabitEthernet1/19  -----------> it will reset the port configuration.
!
 switchport mode trunk
!

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hi Deepak,

Thanks for the recommendation, i will try that. But other ports are access ports tagged with VLAN 40. The trunk port at Tengigabit 1/9 port is the trunk port and i want only VLAN 40 to carry through the trunk. but now on the HP switch when i connect to default VLAN 1 ports then only i am able to reach the machines connected to Cisco VLAN 40 port. if i connect to VLAN 40 tagged ports in HP switch the machines connected to Cisco switch is un reachable. 

Hi,

Please share HP and Switch configuration.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Dear Deepak,

Please find the attached HP switch configuration

Hi Deepak,

I have seen the default VLAN is untagged to the Trunk ports. I might need to remove them.

Hi,

Based on the HP switch configuration:

trunk G23 Trk3 Trunk 
trunk G24 Trk4 Trunk 

This is EtherChannel configuration on HP switch. It not a trunk port. 

Please try below configuration on the HP Switch:

no trunk G23 Trk3 Trunk
!
vlan 40 tagged G23

and Try on Cisco switch as normal trunk port configuration.

switchport mode trunk

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,

Hi Deepak.

I have removed the Trunk ports from the Default VLAN in HP switch. 

And in cisco switch A, it looks like the switch is not applying the configuration i was doing. And the port trunking of all the access port settings happened because of i was trying to configure it via CNA GUI tool. I did a factory reset of Cisco switch and configure it from scratch. Now its fine everything is working. Attached the config of the working cisco.

Thank you very much for your efforts. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card