Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 4507 reloading automatically

jbraswell
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I've only had this issue twice, but it's enough to concern me. I was doing some maintenance and checking on my Catalyst 4507 when all of a sudden the switch threw a ton of messages at me, and proceeded to reload. The only one that I could see was there is a switch trunking on another VLAN that my 4507 said it had received an invalid MAC Address of 00:00:00:00 and then it reloaded. When it came back up, it said that the port that that switch was connected to was in errdisable. What can I do to investigate further, and has anyone else seen this issue? Please advise!!

Thanks,

John Braswell

CCNA

Comptia NET+

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello John,

I've seen several times an error message about receiving frames with an invalid source MAC addres made of all 0s.

This may be caused by a vmware instance just initialized and not configured.

However, in our case it is just a warning message without any effect.

It would be important to know if the message was about an invalid source or an invalid destination MAC address.

Also in order to make a search among published bugs it would help to know:

-what supervisor model is present on the switch

- the IOS image running on it

sh ver

sh module

to go on

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

I've included the info you requested, I've not heard of the VMWare issue, but the first reload took place before any VMWare was being used. I have recently installed it, but haven't used it in the area that it reported causing the shutdown. Is there a way to get the logs from before the switch started, and get the switch to keep the logs locally so I can tell what happens?

Thanks,

John

Hello John,

only way to have persistent logs is to export them to a syslog server so that you can look at the log file of the device on the server.

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/46sg/configuration/guide/log.html#wp1084187

I see you are using a very old IOS image

System image file is "bootflash:cat4500-ipbase-mz.122-25.SG4.bin"

I would suggest you to upgrade to a newer image, not the last one but at least a 12.2(46)SG or 12.2(52)SG

verify that you meet the requirements of the new image in terms of RAM and flash size

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card