Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6509 Supervisor issue

Vinnfier93
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have issue that I'm not familiar with. Currently the chassis is using WS-SUP32P-10GE and had failure.

Tho I'm not sure what happen to that supervisor showing RED led status on it.

I attached several pictures below.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Hafiz

1.pngWhatsApp Image 2021-06-21 at 1.02.53 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-21 at 1.05.58 PM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-06-21 at 1.05.59 PM.jpeg

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hafiz,

Yes, but that is also End of Sale. The 6548 modules are also End of Support.

Only the Sup6T remains as an option for available Cat 6K supervisors, and that has also been announced End of Sale as of April 2022.

You may want to consider replacing this chassis with either a Cat 9400 chassis or a stack of Cat 9300, as it looks like this is for user-facing ports. The deep packet inspection capabilities offered by the Sup32-PISA are now a standard part of the Catalyst 9K switching family, so no specialized supervisor is needed for those functions.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Senior Technical Marketing Engineer

Enterprise Networking and Cloud Group

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hafiz,

Here is information for the LEDs for Sup32-PISA: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/hardware/Module_Installation/Sup_Eng_Guide/supe_gd/02superv.html#80432 . A few questions:

• Have you tried to reseat the module ?
  • Is it running the same code as the Sup32P in slot 5 ? 
  • Have you tried to swap the Sup32P in slot 5 and Sup32P in slot 6 to see if the slot is the problem ?

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Hi Scott,

Yes I have tried to reseat and swap the module. still same.

The code you mean is the iOS image right? Yes. it is same.

I also tried reset the whole chassis but now it get more worse. this chassis is totally down.

Thanks,

hafiz

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All four LED in RED means the supervisor card is dead.

Hi Leo,

Anyhow do you know why the supervisor status is UNKNOWN in show module?

Thanks,

Hafiz

- Because it has a fatal hardware problem, you may also connect a console and check if anything is shown when the module is re-seated , anyway it needs to be replaced (RMA)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

@Vinnfier93 wrote:

Anyhow do you know why the supervisor status is UNKNOWN in show module?

The supervisor card is dead.  This is why it is "UNKNOWN".  

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

you can try console and see if any logs, if nothing get the RMA 

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

Scott Hodgdon
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hafiz,

Unfortunately, the Sup32P is End of Support : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-6500-series-switches/eol_c51_588273.html . This means no RMA will be available. 

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Hi Scott,

The replacement for this supervisor is SUP720 am I right?

Thanks,

Hafiz

Hafiz,

Yes, but that is also End of Sale. The 6548 modules are also End of Support.

Only the Sup6T remains as an option for available Cat 6K supervisors, and that has also been announced End of Sale as of April 2022.

You may want to consider replacing this chassis with either a Cat 9400 chassis or a stack of Cat 9300, as it looks like this is for user-facing ports. The deep packet inspection capabilities offered by the Sup32-PISA are now a standard part of the Catalyst 9K switching family, so no specialized supervisor is needed for those functions.

Cheers,
Scott Hodgdon

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card