cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 9300 Is a console cable required?

charlie.rhodes
Level 1
Level 1

The documentation I find on the 9300 seems to skip over the initial IP configuration of a brand new switch.

Is a console cable required, or is there some way to do it with a standard network patch cable (like the 2960X express setup).

We typically direct ship new switches to branch locations and the 2960X express setup was simple enough for non-IT office manager, but a console cable and CLI - that will be a mess.

4 Replies 4

Hi dude:

According with the Hardware Installation Guide you have 3 options:

Management Port

RJ45 Console Port

USB 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/hardware/install/b_c9300_hig.pdf

Maybe this other link would be useful:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/int_and_hw/b_166_int_and_hw_9300_cg.pdf

Kind Regards

If my advice was useful, please do not forget to say Thank you :) with a star.

Thanks for the hint. Even if I try the commands (media-type rj 45) on Cat 9300 with IOS 16.8 loaded, the RJ 45 Console port on the back side of the device is just and output. I cannot enter commands, while if I connect to the front usb the CLI is immediately usable.

Most of new laptop or computer do not have serial port (RS.232). For that reason an USB-to-Serial converter is required to Access the RJ 45 console port on catalyst switch. In my case the converter had a problem. After replacing the USB-to-Serial-Converter the RJ 45 console works like expected.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@charlie.rhodes wrote:

Is a console cable required, or is there some way to do it with a standard network patch cable (like the 2960X express setup).

Cisco's new method of doing this is via DNA-C's Plug-n-Play.  I am not sure if Catalyst 9K can still support ZeroTouch Smart Install. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco