cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

catalyst 9300 Is a console cable required?

charlie.rhodes
Level 1
Level 1

The documentation I find on the 9300 seems to skip over the initial IP configuration of a brand new switch.

Is a console cable required, or is there some way to do it with a standard network patch cable (like the 2960X express setup).

We typically direct ship new switches to branch locations and the 2960X express setup was simple enough for non-IT office manager, but a console cable and CLI - that will be a mess.

4 Replies 4

Hi dude:

According with the Hardware Installation Guide you have 3 options:

Management Port

RJ45 Console Port

USB 

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/hardware/install/b_c9300_hig.pdf

Maybe this other link would be useful:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/16-6/configuration_guide/int_and_hw/b_166_int_and_hw_9300_cg.pdf

Kind Regards

If my advice was useful, please do not forget to say Thank you :) with a star.

Thanks for the hint. Even if I try the commands (media-type rj 45) on Cat 9300 with IOS 16.8 loaded, the RJ 45 Console port on the back side of the device is just and output. I cannot enter commands, while if I connect to the front usb the CLI is immediately usable.

Most of new laptop or computer do not have serial port (RS.232). For that reason an USB-to-Serial converter is required to Access the RJ 45 console port on catalyst switch. In my case the converter had a problem. After replacing the USB-to-Serial-Converter the RJ 45 console works like expected.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@charlie.rhodes wrote:

Is a console cable required, or is there some way to do it with a standard network patch cable (like the 2960X express setup).

Cisco's new method of doing this is via DNA-C's Plug-n-Play.  I am not sure if Catalyst 9K can still support ZeroTouch Smart Install. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card