cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 9300 nm-8X interface configuration

pboynton1
Level 1
Level 1

Currently have a nm-4g, 4 port sfp card installed in my C9300-24P, using g1/1 as my trunk uplink.  I have the need for my fiber trunks leaving the switch than the nm-4g card can accommodate and have purchased the nm-8x, 8 port SFP card.  This is a remote site, and I have shipped the card to the technician onsite.  I see the Te1/1-8 in my show interface status output even before inserting the new 8 port card.  Does this mean I can pre-provision these ports?

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The configuration shows until you have a module insert it can not take effective. ( as per the Cisco it was hot insertion and remove)

but i am more cautious (since you mentioned remote - do it in maintenance window)  - also personally i will turn off the device remove and insertion of the card.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Does this mean I can pre-provision these ports?

Yes, you can configure the 10G, 25Gig, or 40Gig ahead of time.

HTH

Conflicting answers so far, but I believe you are correct Reza.  I will be pre-provisioning the ports this weekend, and swapping NM cards on Monday...Stay tuned for the definitive answer.

Maybe I have not clarified correctly - The configuration shows until you have a module insert it can not take effect. (mean you can configure but that only take effective when the Module go in )

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

That will depend on the firmware of the switch. 

I could be wrong (and it has happen quite a few times already), but if the 8-port is not inserted, it cannot be "pre-provisioned" with earlier IOS-XE versions.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card