cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst and Nexus fiber link negotiation mismatch - Won't Come Back Up.

jokerfmj1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 4500 Switch and a Nexus 7K. The 4500 switch rebooted due to a bug in the IOS and when it came back up the OOB connection on it stayed down. This OOB is connected via a fiber link to my 7K.

When I run a "speed nonegotiate" command on the Catalyst, the link goes "up/up" on the Catalyst side, but is "down/up" on the Nexus side. I have tried hard coding speed and duplex on the Nexus side and allowing it to auto-negotiate, but it has no impact.

The only thing that makes a difference is the "speed nonegotiate" command on the Catalyst, but that only affects the Catalyst side, the Nexus side stays down.

One of my coworkers has stated that he remembers there being some kind of background negotiation on the Nexus that you cannot change currently in 7Ks, but he read about a roadmap of the feature being available in the future. He said this may be the issue as he has encountered it previously on some 3750's connecting to some of our Nexus devices.

Has anyone ran into this and figured out the actual cause or a solution?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

ktonev
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi! 

Both of these switches are not considered Small Business units so I would suggest to post your question in the main Switching section so your question can get better visibility and a faster reply.

Thanks,

Kris

Thanks, Kris. Will do.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card