Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to access internet from Cisco SG300 switch

zidane312
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have small lab where I am attempting to roll out a Citrix Xendesktop environment with Netscaler VPX.  In order to finish, I need to allow my Cisco SG300-28 layer 3 switch provide a route to the internet.  I dont know if this is possible but the connection directly into my switch is coming from a patch panel that feeds to a Netgear GS510 gigabit switch.  From there, next hop is to a router/modem I assume (I dont have access to the router as it isnt owned by me.  Organization as allowed me to utilize the connection but not to access the device).

My switch IP is 10.17.x.x

Gateway for commercial internet is 192.168.1.1

I can ping the 10.x network from the same switch when I have a 192.x IP but I cannot ping the 192.x network from the 10.x switch.  I need to be able to access the web from the 10.x network.

Is this possible?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

the problem is likely that the Internet modem/router only allows IP addresses from the 192.168.1.0/24 network to access the Internet. The SG300 is not capable of NAT, so your only option would be to add a NAT translation rule to the Internet router allowing your 10.17.x.x network to be translated. Unfortunately since you don't have access to the router, this won't work...

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

zidane312
Level 1
Level 1

I performed a trace route from 192.168.1.1 gateway to my internal switch and it goes like this:

1  192.168.1.1

2  10.17.56.1

3  ISP

4  ISP

5 ISP

6  my switch

Hello,

it is difficult to visualize your setup from the information you have given. Can you post a schematic drawing and indicate from which device your are trying to reach the Internet ?

Hello,

the problem is likely that the Internet modem/router only allows IP addresses from the 192.168.1.0/24 network to access the Internet. The SG300 is not capable of NAT, so your only option would be to add a NAT translation rule to the Internet router allowing your 10.17.x.x network to be translated. Unfortunately since you don't have access to the router, this won't work...

Georg,

That was exactly what I feared. I guess I will need to get in touch with the device owner. Thanks.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card