cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst switch configuration for /30 ports in media networks

edwinbukont
Level 1
Level 1

Vendors such as Lawo and others are suggesting that, when configuring a Catalyst 9200 or 9300 series switch for media networks, such as ST-2110 and AES67, that each device on a physical port be given a /30 address to reduce chances for flooding. 

Most of these devices will be running some sort of UDP multicast audio, video and control per port, aside from the messaging/browser of TCP.

I understand the reason for the /30.  Typically these networks have multiple switches in a spine/leaf configuration. 

What I am not clear on is the switch configuration so that all of these /30 can talk to each other, within and across switches.

It appears to me that each device has a gateway address,,,and thus there are many gateways,,,how do they talk?

The vendors can't seem to provide much info other than "ask Cisco", so that is what I am doing.  I need to understand programming the switches to accommodate this requested architecture. 

Thank you

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I suspect the intent is to make each such host port its own L2 domain and its own IP network.  I.e. you would need to route between all these subnets.  Basically the same as you route between subnet containing multiple hosts.

BTW, you might also be able to use a /31 for this purpose too.

If using a /30 (or /31), you have have the option, on a L3 switch, to use VLANs and SVI, or just "routed" ports.  (The host's gateway IP would be either the SVI or routed port IP.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card