cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst Switch Power Supply PWR-IE50W-AC overcurrent protection

nijames
Level 1
Level 1

I want to install a PWR-IE50W-AC power supply to provide power to a Catalyst IE3400 Ethernet switch. The PWR-IE50W-AC data sheet says the inrush current for this power supply @230VAC input voltage is as high as 70A.. This seems really high for a device that only outputs 1.2A at 24VDC.. I planned on potecting the circuit upstream of the device with a 2A finger safe fuse block or breaker but I am not sure I can find one that will be able to handle such an inrush current, if only temporarily. Has anyone dealt with this? What size OCPD should I use? 

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I think you are reading the datasheet incorrect : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/industrial-ethernet-switches/datasheet-c78-742180.html
      Table 2 look at column five it says : .... < 35A

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

It says <35A for 110VAC or 70A for 230VAC.. This is still fairly ambiguous to me. <70A implies it could be as high 60-69A? I still don't think an upstream fuse or breaker rated for 60A makes sense in this application, unless that is what you have seen. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card