Views
Helpful
Replies

CBS250-8PP-D is crashing

tgrevin
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco Community,

Actually, at work, I have a stack with 7 Netgear M4300-52G-POE+ switches in the main network bay.
All the wall sockets are connected to theses switches.

For one desktop who only have one wall socket (WS) for him, there was a netgear gs108 switch to connect computers (but not poe or manageable..). I recently installed new phone system and so i need to connect a POE phone in this desktop, this is why we got a CBS250-8PP-D to replace the netgear.

PROBLEM: When i connect the wall socket to any ports of the CBS, he suddently crashing.
Here is all the tests i did until now:

1-IF I connect my PC to the WS --> CBS Switch is OK (Boot/Network)

2-IF I connect my POE phone to the WS--> Phone boot and network OK
(Note: the most funy is if i connect the same phone directly on the CBS, he's booting normally)

3-IF I connect the Cisco switch to any WS --> CBS switch turns off

4-IF I leave connected power supply but I remove the WS from the Cisco switch --> CBS switch restart

5-IF i connect directly the CBS to one port of the M4300 --> CBS switch turns off

6-IF (just for testing) i connect CBS to a Ubiquiti USW --> CBS switch turns off

On the CBS settings, i deactivated POE on all the ports, same on the netgear port where is connected the WS
I also deactivated green ethernet, checkec port security and many others settings...

Any ideas ? 

Thanks for your answers !

11 Replies 11

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

Are you getting any errors on the console?

Thanks,
Jitendra

No because i think the switch don't have time to send logs.

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

Smartports can be a huge time-saver for you, but there may be circumstances where you need to change settings. In some instances, it might be easier to just disable the Smartport feature and move on! Not sure? Check this article out for more details.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/smb/switches/Cisco-Business-Switching/kmgmt-2634-identify-disable-smartports-CBS.html

Thanks,
Jitendra

Smartports already disabled too ...

would suggest you upgrade the firmware.

or share logs and errors if you found that on the switch.

Thanks,
Jitendra

Already done too with the latest firmware update.

Logs would not be useful because when the switch is crashing, he don't send any logs (checked after restart).

Thanks

>...Logs would not be useful because when the switch is crashing, he don't send any logs (checked after restart).

- Use and or configure a syslog server on the CBS too , I know it  stops logging when it crashes but the idea is to be able to (keep) observing what happens just before (e.g.) , sometime particular problems the device then experiences may lead to more info about the ultimate cause of the crash.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Even if the crash is coming when i plug an ethernet cable from wall socket / netgear poe+ switch ?

Ed001
Level 1
Level 1

I see the same behavior, but I have done more testing /troubleshooting.

Upstream switch: Netgear GS324TP S350 v1.0.0.43 (latest release)

This switch: CBS250-8PP-D v3.2.0.94 (latest release)

• PoE is disabled on both switches (only enabled for the WAP ports on the Netgear)
  • Both sides set for auto-negotiate
  • All cables passed wave test on my Fluke to Cat-6a
  • Power is via online /double-conversion UPS for both switches
  • "Wall Power" to each UPS is verified steady at 120 VAC 60Hz by Fluke and Klein meters
  • S350 and CBS250 have been configured to log to a syslog server

Whenever I connect from the S350 to the CBS250 using a shielded cable, the switch crashes and stays crashed.

• No logs are sent when the CBS250 crashes by either device.  It's as if I disconnected power - no dying gasp, etc.
  • The CBS250 crashed with both the "out of box" 3.1.1.7 firmware and the upgraded 3.2.0.84 firmware

Whenever I connect from the S350 to the CBS250 using an unshielded cable, the switch boots and runs as expected.

I have tried shielded cables from 1m to 25m with the same crash-and-stay-crashed behavior.

I have tried unshielded cables from 1m to 15m with the same "runs just fine" behavior.

When I connect to compute equipment (PC, Printer, IP Camera, etc.), the switch runs as expected with the same shielded cables that cause the crash when running switch-to-switch.

nishika
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I am going to qualify 

CBS250-8T-D-NA instead of but have few doubts:

IS power port is similar as existing?

Does it need software change too with new Ethernet SW.

vhud-tv
Level 1
Level 1

This problem already existed in SG200 desktop switches and is not limited to switch connections. I also experienced it with a docking station which's LAN port I connected to a CBS25-8PP-D. A soon as an unshielded cable was used, all worked fine. A spare DLink switch did not show this behaviour.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card