Views
Helpful
Replies

CCNP & Layer 1 Switching

Dean Romanelli
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All,

I am beginning my studies for the CCNP, and I've already come across something interesting; the concept of Layer 1 switches.  However, I'm not quite sure I see their benefit.  The way I understand it, is that they are basically semi-smart patch panels with media conversion capabilities. However, outside of the media conversion in a box capabilities, I'm not really sure why I'd ever use one over a regular patch panel, or even a layer two switch with SFP capabilities.

Also, the article I read suggests you'd only use this in a lab environment, as opposed to production.  Is this accurate?

1 Reply 1

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Dean,

Not sure if I have understood what exactly you are looking for but here is my reply for this:

Layer 1 is the physical layer - that is, cabling, connectors, etc. The closest thing to a Layer 1 switch would be something like an electrical switch that turns on/off the physical connection between devices, cabling, etc.

Layer 2 switches route traffic based on the Ethernet MAC address. I recommend googling for "OSI model" to learn more about how Ethernet work

The SFP can be added or removed without affecting operations, thus allowing for customization and future upgrades.

HTH

Regards

Inayath

*Plz rate all usefull posts.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card