Views
Helpful
Replies

Change administration VLAN

mulbreizh
Level 1
Level 1

Hello and sorry for my bad english,

All my switches have IP for administration in VLAN 1, the default VLAN. We want to change this, create a new vlan, vlan 3 for example, disable IP interface of the switch in VLAN 1 and put the same IP interface in VLAN 3.

I know, by this action we will lost connection to the switch until we set the IP interface on VLAN 3.

But i want to know if there is other impact to do this ? client will lost connection if i change VLAN ?

and also, we have others things to do on switch to change the IP administration, just change VLAN or something else ?

What also the best way, begin by the switch who manage VLAN and VTP domain ?

thanks a lot

2 Replies 2

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- I would take this project broader in the sense that normally each vlan is assigned  a different subnet , so make a new subnet with     it's own IP range on  vlan 3 , then you can use (new)  addresses for it  to assign to switches and avoid conflicts.
     Later on you can abandon the addresses (subnet) used on vlan 1, changing intranet firewalling and device access policies for instance , 
     if needed , (and also remove the addresses)

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

So far the english of the OP is more than adequate. There are several things I do not yet understand enough to respond. But one part is quite clear. The question is "But i want to know if there is other impact to do this ? client will lost connection if i change VLAN ?". The answer is that no clients will NOT lose connectivity. The administrative address is to allow access to the switch for management purposes. If you change the administrative address it will not have any impact on client access.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card