Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changes made to switches now Dell printers acting funny

We did some switch maitenance this weekend and now we are having some weird issues with the Dell printers.  the Dell's keep going into an "error" state.  this isn't effecting any Lexmark, epson...etc.  only Dell's.  if they reboot the printer it comes back online.  Once a user sends a print to it it will print that initial print then goes into an error state.  You can still ping it but you cannot HTTP to it.

Now i had the same circumstance when traveling at a conference where i didn't have the printers on a print server.  we were directly printing to the Dell 5110CN's via tcp/ip.

Switches:  Cisco 4506

during maintenance weekend i put the users onto a new vlan.  i left the printers on their old network vlan.

remoted into printer

deleted all vlan's except my management vlan

went into vlan database and recreated only the vlans we needed (now using transparent mode)

using the range command, changed all ports to the new user vlan

individually changed all printer ports back to their original vlan.

rebooted

a couple of printers are on the new user vlan and they also are doing the same thing. 

no changes made to the printers, drivers or anything in regards to the Dells or print servers......only switch changes made.

any suggestions or areas to look at would be much appreciated.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

I am not sure but it looks like the problem would be in this area below:

" Once a user sends a print to it it will print that initial print then goes into an error state.  You can still ping it but you cannot HTTP to it."

1) Can you check whether the port 80 is getting blocked any where. Do you have any accesslists in a switch or anything else like a firewall.

2) Is any port is Mac binded?

Please rate helpful posts

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

No ACL's on the switches......

Only changes to this building......

Our site consistes of 100+ switches in 70 buildings...only changed this building

No cisco port mac binding used...we use ForeScout for port security

ForeScout scans every building and performs a vlan change if rogue detected. printer ports are not changing and no records in ForeScout of anything changing.

Hello

I cannot comment of this forescout as I am not aware of it -Are you sure this application isnt the root of your issue?

However- Are these printers on a central printer server? if so, have you checked the vlan assignment for the servers lan port, and if this vlan is allowed across the trunks?

Also try stop and starting the print servers spooler?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card