cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Changing VTP server role from 6513 running CATOS to 4510 running IOS.

Rick Pancratz
Level 1
Level 1

We have installed a new 4510R+E and have migrated all layer 2 and 3 core functionality from a 6513 running CATOS 8.6.  The 6513 has become layer 2 "client access" switch.  The 6513 is the current VTP server in the domain.  Migrating this role to the 4510 (running 03.01.01.SG) was overlooked initially.  The 4510 is currently a client in the VTP domain.

I would like to exchange VTP roles/status between the 4510 and the 6513.  Are there any issues that I need to be aware of when swapping these roles between switches?  Are there any issues with moving the VTP server role from CATOS to IOS?

I had planned on changing the VTP status on the 6513 to client and then changing the VTP status of the 4510 to server.  Will this work?

Thank you.

Rick

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As long as they are currently synced up and have the same vtp revision number there should not be an issue. Make sure the 4510 does "not" have a higher revision number, if vtp is currently working correctly they should be the same.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As long as they are currently synced up and have the same vtp revision number there should not be an issue. Make sure the 4510 does "not" have a higher revision number, if vtp is currently working correctly they should be the same.

Rick Pancratz
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you Glen!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card