Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

check the port-channel utilization

Hi Guys,

I have recently installed cat6500 core switch and i had to connect it to the old core for some reason with port-channel.

The issue is I still have complains of the slowness of the network related to the port-channel.

anyway, before adding new port i need to know how to check the ports utilization per port and how the load balance work?

2 Replies 2

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Fiza,

I would like to start investigation on why the slowness:

1- Is the slowness occuring on all the PC's?
2- Is that for specific vlans are for all the vlans?
3- Do you get the same issue when you connect the PC directly to the Switch?
4- Check the CPU/STP issue on the box.
5- Check for any drops on the interfaces or fabric or modules

Few commands I would suggest to check:

a- Check the utilization of the interface:
sh int t1/1 | in input rate|output rate

b-Check the Port-channel utilization:
show int po100 | in input rate|output rate

c- Show proc cpu sorted |  ex 0.00 .. & ( remote command switch show proc cpu sorted | ex 0.00)==Check for cpu utlization.

d- Show interface | include line|drops   ( Check if any vlan/interface are having input drops)

e- show spann det | in ieee|from|occur|is exec

f- Check for mls cef and mls qos.

g- show interface | in up|drop >>> Check  to see if any interface are dropping any packets

h- Bundling the port would give you the load sharing but not with the performace untill you tweak there parameters.

f- remote command switch show proc cpu sorted | ex 0.00

HTH

Inayath

*************Plz dont forget to rate if this info is helpfull.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

You should be able to obtain interface load stats for port-channel member ports.

Load balancing depends on the configured load balancing algorithm and the attributes of your traffic.  (I think the 6500 defaults to IP src and dest hash, which if it does, usually works well, but there are situations where it doesn't - e.g. high volume between same pair of hosts.)

BTW, remember a single flow will only use one link.  Also, port-channeling doesn't dynamically load balance, i.e. one link can be running at 100% and dropping packets while the other goes unused.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card