cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 10GBase T-X transceivers (rj45) not detected

Dave66
Level 1
Level 1

We've recently purchased to N9K-C93180YC-FX systems, along with 10gb rj45 transceivers (SFP-10G-T-X) and a hand full of LC-fiber 10 gb (SFP10G-SR++) transceivers.   Each component was approved to work with a minimum of NXOS 9.3.5 by Ciscos Matrix compatibility guide.   Currently on the Fiber 10gb LC transcievers work in both of the switches.   

A show interface on any port where on both switches show the RJ45 device as not compatible with the switch.   Although a borrowed 10GB-T-X Rj45 tranceiver from FS.com works just fine.    I've submitted a ticket but other than a lot of leg work being provided from my end I've received really nothing useful.    I'm writing in hopes that others may know whats going on, are just maybe I configured the ports incorrectly.     Other than placing the ports in a separate vlans groups these are not configured with any additional items.   When the tranceivers are inserted into the switch the amber light does not go out, unlike when the fiber transceivers are plugged in.   Even the borrowed tranceiver (FS.com) light goes out on the sfp port when inserted.

Support recommended I upgrade to the most current reccmended NXOS of 9.3.8 which is completed on one switch but that didn't fixed the problem.

So at this point its either me with wrong settings or truley an incompatible -undetected device.   

10 Replies 10

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is logs you see when you insert the 10G module ?

Although a borrowed 10GB-T-X Rj45 transceiver from FS.com works just fine  - This means connectivity ok, or just port ok ?

Some FAQ to help you :  

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/q-and-a-c67-743938.html

I believe you had TAC case open, we love you hear your feedback of the solution, i have seen 2 weeks one more user having same issue, not solved the issue i guess.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I have opened a ticket with TAC to help resolve the problem.   At this point I just think documentation states one thing and the facts are actually not compatible.   I was hoping someone else out there in the wild had come across this problem and may have had a solution.    I doubt there is a solution for the existing transcievers but replacement with the thirdparty ventdow tranceivers.

Thanks for the feedback.

Dave66
Level 1
Level 1

All the ports I’ve inserted this type of transceiver into reports not recognized or not compatible in any of the ports inserted regardless of what the compatibility matrix says.   If I take the borrowed transceiver from (fs.com) into any of the ports it immediately identifies and the led port indicator turns off.   In my opinion I think the transceivers are mentioned as being compatible in fact are not compatible.    Maybe with a future release of Nxos.  

the logs show the initial Detection of something being inserted then eventually reports not compatible or unknown device.  Could this mean the compatible driver is not present to fully recognize the transceiver and where would this reside.     I’m not really savvy on switches but I’m thinking it’s similar to netapp drive firmware, if it’s not present I can drop the download firmware/driver into a designated location within the filesystem to successfully identify and update driver firmware for recognition.        

If you purchased from Cisco, then i would raise an ticket with TAC and take the value of the money, see anything missing or why it is not working.

BB

Dave66
Level 1
Level 1

After much research and a Ticket with TAC, It was explained that for my model of switches cannot truely populate every port with 10G-TX.  This list shows what port can be used.    Set the media-type 10g-T-X worked.   But unfortunately using 10G-TX transcievers on this switch I'm limited to 14 total ports used.  The block in the middle of the switch may be able to accomodate Fiber transcievers but that doesn't really help considering most of our equipment is RJ45.    Seems like a very expensive paperweight to me.     I'd also recommend doing more of your own home work and research when buying your equipment.   Don't rely on CISCO to help in this regard. 

Cisco SFP-10G-T-X Module Support

Beginning with Cisco NX-OS Release 9.3(5), 10G BASE-T SFP+ (RJ-45) is supported on N9K-C93240YC-FX2, N9K-C93180YC-EX, N9K-C93180YC-FX and N9K-C93360YC-FX2 devices. This copper transceiver operates at 10G by default.

When you connect a SFP-10G-T-X device into a port, all the neighboring ports of this device must be either empty, or be connected to passive copper links only.

Default Port MappingDevice NamePort Map:

Cisco Nexus N9K-C93180YC-EX and N9K-C93180YC-FX >>PI/PE: 1, 4-5, 8-9, 12-13, 16, 37, 40-41, 44-45, 48

Hello,

that sounds weird. Is that limitation documented somewhere ? Odd...

I was englightened this morning with the documentation/link this morning.

Found under Header:

About the Basic Interface Parameters >> Cisco 10G-T-X Module Support

Cisco Nexus 9000 Series NX-OS Interfaces Configuration Guide, Release 9.3(x) - Configuring Basic Interface Parameters [Cisco Nexus 9000 Series Switches] - Cisco

R/

yes nexus have that feature to make unified port to convert based on the requirement.

BB

I thought unified port conversion dealt with Fiber channel to Ethernet or EThernet to Fiberchannel.   Not sure how this would help me modify all 48  ports to rj45 10GB-TX.    I'm not sure but the conversion to either would most likely require more licensing that we purchased.

Speaking with an engineer earlier, he mentioned the limited port density is due to the heat generated becuase this Transceivers require 2.5 watts as opposed to 1.0 that fiber transceivers on this switch require.  This allows for air to pass by cooling the transciever.     I've ordered more Fs.com transceivers that require only 1.0 watt (documentation) that I will use to test with. 

andreas.blum
Level 1
Level 1

You may want to look at N9K-C93216TC-FX2

These do 96x 100m/1g/10g copper without the need of transceivers

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card