cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 speed question

ngthen
Level 1
Level 1

I have a redundant network running the multiple instance spanning tree as well as two WAN connections. One is a 6mb/s Ethernet circuit from our provider and the other is a 100mb/s ethernet link to our other data center. While working on the routing we are wanting to always use the Internet off of one circuit and fail over to the other if it fails. Are the Cisco 1841 routers capable of routing at 100mb/s so that I can get full speed out to my other data center? Since the sencondary DC is not mission critical I do not need extremely powerful routers. I do however need to take advantage of HSRP, IP SLA, and MSTP which I think they can do being that they are running the newer IOS. I have thought about using an L3 switch to do this, however I need the WIC capabilitly for other connections in the future.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Nicolas,

have a look at

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

1841 is not supposed to be able to route at 100 Mbps full rate but only 38 Mbps or 75000 pps

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Nicolas,

have a look at

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

1841 is not supposed to be able to route at 100 Mbps full rate but only 38 Mbps or 75000 pps

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Yup...that's perfect...thanks!

BTW, when looking at the router performance sheet, keep in mind there's also duplex traffic to consider, the impact of any services you want to enable, and some room for other process load. I.e., for 100 Mbps, you might want a device that offers 2 to 4x nomimal bandwidth as its forwarding performance.

To support 100 Mbps on a sofware router, you might want a 3845 or 7200 with -G1/-G2.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card