Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 1841 - Weird output at startup

Hamdi Kadri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a serious issue with a 1841 router that my boss told me to diagnose. I connect to the console and that's what i get:

COM1 - TTY Emulator_2012-10-10_09-19-23.png

Any ideas ?

PS : when I type in the console, I get only these characters (ýøüýøø)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hamdi,

Most often, a similar garbage in a terminal screen is an indication that the speed of the router console is different from the speed of the COM port at your PC. Try simply changing the COM port speed from 1200 through 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400 and 57600 up to 115200 bps. Every time you change the COM port speed, hit Enter a number of times to see if the router starts responding normally. If it does, and the IOS has booted, I suggest reverting the console speed back to 9600 bps using the following configuration mode commands:

line con 0

speed 9600 ! The console will hang at this point again

end

If the console hangs after the speed 9600 command, simply reconfigure your COM port back to 9600 bps and the console should start responding again.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Hamdi,

Most often, a similar garbage in a terminal screen is an indication that the speed of the router console is different from the speed of the COM port at your PC. Try simply changing the COM port speed from 1200 through 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400 and 57600 up to 115200 bps. Every time you change the COM port speed, hit Enter a number of times to see if the router starts responding normally. If it does, and the IOS has booted, I suggest reverting the console speed back to 9600 bps using the following configuration mode commands:

line con 0

speed 9600 ! The console will hang at this point again

end

If the console hangs after the speed 9600 command, simply reconfigure your COM port back to 9600 bps and the console should start responding again.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Hamdi,

Try as Peter Paluch said. I also faced same kind of scenario and it resolved the issue.

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card