Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO 2900 Router , Change password

kar
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

I have inherited CISCO Router, I need to change password as it has a very weak password. I do know the current password, but need to change it.

I am new to CISCO and not a networking pro. Most of search I did , was to flash the router which cannot be done as it is the backbone of our infrastructure and we will loose all our config and plus downtime.

I am not sure if i am searching/reading  the right content. Currently using CCP to log into the router.

Your guidance is appreciated.

Thank you

4 Replies 4

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Good morning estimated,

Which password do you want to change (enable, console, line vty, a password from a user)? You can modify this by entering into de router and literally write the new password, for example if you want to chaneg the enable password you have to type:

enable secret PASW0RDSTR1NG

no more, and maybe you have to reloging into the device. You do not have to do a password recovery because you have the old password.

Please do not forget to rate useful post, your calification motivate us to continue participating in the forum.

Best Regards,

Hi

Additional to Diana's comment, if you are already able to log in into the router you can chance the password through the following command:

configure terminal

username <username> privilege 15 password <new password>

You can combine letters (capital or lowercase), numbers, and symbols. Now if you are not able to log in a password recovery is required. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Thanks for the responses.

I haven't got the chance to look into it . Once done I will let you know

when try to use the following command , this what i get

#username cisco1 privilege 15 password MyPassw0RD
ERROR: Can not have both a user password and a user secret.
Please choose one or the other.

Cisco 1 is the username who's password I need to change

sorry for the delayed response.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card