Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2901 - I cannot auto negotiate SFP and RJ45

lewey.bullock
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I'm struggling to configure a Cisco 2901 router, I have two dual sfp and rj45 modules plugged into the router - however only one of the modules auto negotiates between plugging in the rj45 and sfp - whereas the other only recognises the sfp and nothing happens when plugging in rj45

I have looked around on the internet and there are, 'media-type auto-select' commands and `no negotiation auto' commands however trying these on the Cisco router it looks like none of these commands are supported/they don't work?

Has anyone please got any suggestions on how I configure the router to auto negotiate the sfp and rj45 on this module?

My IOS is: 15.2(4)M6

IP Base and Security 

2 Replies 2

Glenn Martin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Moving this discussion to the Network Infrastructure>LAN Switching Community..

Jebadhas_John
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Lewey,

If I understand you right you have a SFP/RJ45 port pair for trunking and when you use the RJ45 when the SFP is already engaged, the cable on RJ45 is not recognized.

From my experience working with Cisco SMB switches, the SFP/RJ45 port pair provided for trunking is an either-or port pair and both cannot be used simultaneously.

I hope that helps!

Jeb

Toronto

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card