Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 CLI Wizard

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi all,

i've been configuring 2911 routers for quite some time and always notice this line:

Would you like to enter the initial configuration dialog? [yes/no]: n

Would you like to terminate autoinstall? [yes]:

i know the initial config dialog from the 2800 ISR G1s but the autoinstall is quite new.

could someone enlighten me what's the line for?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Actually the autoinstall is quite old. I remember it from many years ago - in fact so long ago that I had to look it up to remember the details. The short version is that it is a feature that was designed to allow you to ship a new router and for that router to dynamically learn and load its configuration. The longer version is in this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/fcf002.html

In fact it is so old (notice that it was supported on Token Ring) that I believe that it is not used much in current networks. But it is still part of the code that runs in the router at startup.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Actually the autoinstall is quite old. I remember it from many years ago - in fact so long ago that I had to look it up to remember the details. The short version is that it is a feature that was designed to allow you to ship a new router and for that router to dynamically learn and load its configuration. The longer version is in this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/fcf002.html

In fact it is so old (notice that it was supported on Token Ring) that I believe that it is not used much in current networks. But it is still part of the code that runs in the router at startup.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi rick,

thanks for the feedback and helpful link! i didn't know this was a legacy feature.

i haven't used the autoinstall yet in my entire networking career.

Yes it is certainly a "legacy"  feature. If you have not used it yet, then I can predict, with some confidence, that it is likely that the rest of your networking career will go by without using it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card