cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2911 Router 2 networks can't ping hosts?

device1001
Level 1
Level 1

I'm taking Cisco CCNA classes at college and I purchased some routers and switches on ebay. I have three 2911 routers and I've been trying to configure some simple networks same as you would in packet tracer. The configurations I'm using work fine in packet tracer. I can get everything setup but my hosts can't ping each other through the router? This is a single router with two directly connected networks. I've set up hosts on a switch to prove they work. I can ping both interfaces from router console and I can ping both hosts from router console. Two pcs connected through two switches can't ping each other through the router. I feel like I'm losing my mind. I've done this exact setup on gear at school and had no problem. I'm not sure what's going on or what I'm missing it just seems impossible that this isn't working. I've cleared and setup using a few different subnets but I can't seem to get the simplest configuration working. I'm using g0/1 with 10.0.0.1 for a gateway and g0/0 with 192.168.10.1 for it's gateway. I've used other subnets and other ports and tried on all three routers to no avail. I've been doing IT work for 30 years. What am I missing or am I going crazy? Show ip int brief and show ip route don't reveal any issues. I've tried ACL's I've tried default routes I've tried static routes I've tried 2 routers I've tried 3 routers. I can ping all interfaces from router consoles. I can ping hosts from router console. Everything works but my hosts can't ping each other. See included screenshots.

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

your two windows PC will most likely have windows firewall enabled. By default it does not allow the PC to respond to ICMP/ ping from other remote subnets. I would try disabling the firewall as a first step and attempting a ping between the hosts again.

cheers,

Seb.

I've cleared that problem. Another issue I discovered is when Wifi is enabled DNS or some other windows process is blocking outbound ping. A windows pc with Wifi on can receive a ping on the ethernet interface but can't send one. I'm still researching this. If you have any info about this it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help. 

Hello,

post the full running configurations (sh run) of the router and the switches, also indicate which interfaces are connected to which device.

I've cleared the issue for now. The Windows firewall was blocking ping through the router but not when both PC's connected directly to the same switch. Pretty strange but I think it has to do with different subnets as there is a setting in the firewall that specifies any subnet or only the local subnet the PC is on. When a PC has Wifi enabled it's unable to send an outbound ping but will respond to them. With firewall correctly configured and Wifi turned off on both PC's there is no problem. Any information would be helpful. Router configuration appears fine. It's so simple there isn't really anything going on there. Just two interfaces and directly connected interfaces automatically routed accordingly. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card