cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 2950 does it have DHCP Server?

djelizondo
Level 1
Level 1

I googled this and couldnt get a clear answer. I was reading it supports DHCP relay? im assuming its just relaying dhcp from the router.

I am wondering if it has its own DHCP router and if theres a command to enable it?

Also Random side question. it hands out ip addresses to other devices (the 2950 im using infront of a router) but when I hook up another switch to this switch it doesnt initialize the port or try to connect? why.

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Yes, the 2950 does support a DHCP Server and/or DHCP Relay functionality. However, it is strongly limited: on these platforms, there can be at most one SVI in the no shutdown state. That means that a 2950 can provide DHCP Server or Relay services only to a single directly-connected VLAN.

There was a similar issue discussed here:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3530571#3530571

It is not common to run a DHCP Server or a Relay service on a switch, anyway. Do you need it?

when I hook up another switch to this switch it doesnt initialize the port or try to connect?

I do not quite understand this description. However, you may need to use a cross-over cable, as 2950 do not have the auto-cross (auto-MDIX) functionality.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card